1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Someone made up that I own them

Discussion in 'Small Claims & Municipal Court' started by Tammy Dell, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Tammy Dell

Tammy Dell Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    Iowa
    I need help. About a year ago my friend played for a gym membership for the 2 of us. A while ago we fell out as friends and she's claiming that I promised to pay my half. I did not. She wants to take it to court. Am I going to have to pay her and her lawyer just because she wants money back for a "gift"?

2. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

Have you been served a summons and complaint for court?

3. mightymoose

mightymoose Moderator

Ignore her. If she does take it to small claims it will be her burden to prove you owe her and to produce some sort of agreement. If you never said you would pay then she should not be able to produce any supporting evidence.

4. zddoodah

zddoodah Well-Known Member

How should we know? All you've told us is that she claims something and you claim it's not true. We have no conceivable way of knowing which of your claims is valid.

With that said, it is unlikely that this is the sort of claim where the loser might be liable for the winner's attorneys' fees and unlikely that she would spend the money on a lawyer.

5. Highwayman

Highwayman Well-Known Member

"Someone made up that I own them"

That's nonsense. Slavery was abolished many, many years ago. You can't own anyone.

Zigner and army judge like this.
  6. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

Some people said some things about someone owing some money.

7. zddoodah

zddoodah Well-Known Member

True, but one certainly can claim ownership of another person. It's also possible for a person to believe that another person owns him/her.

Highwayman likes this.