Someone made up that I own them

Tammy Dell

Jurisdiction
Iowa
I need help. About a year ago my friend played for a gym membership for the 2 of us. A while ago we fell out as friends and she's claiming that I promised to pay my half. I did not. She wants to take it to court. Am I going to have to pay her and her lawyer just because she wants money back for a "gift"?

Ignore her. If she does take it to small claims it will be her burden to prove you owe her and to produce some sort of agreement. If you never said you would pay then she should not be able to produce any supporting evidence.

Am I going to have to pay her and her lawyer just because she wants money back for a "gift"?

How should we know? All you've told us is that she claims something and you claim it's not true. We have no conceivable way of knowing which of your claims is valid.

With that said, it is unlikely that this is the sort of claim where the loser might be liable for the winner's attorneys' fees and unlikely that she would spend the money on a lawyer.

"Someone made up that I own them"

That's nonsense. Slavery was abolished many, many years ago. You can't own anyone.

Some people said some things about someone owing some money.

Back