Sole physical custody

Status
Not open for further replies.

itdkmwigt

My jurisdiction is: New York

I live in New York, my EXgirlfriend lives in Virginia with (our)my son for 11 months.

She wants to have sole physical custody on (our)my son with me having visitation.
Also she wants to have joint legal custody.

We are trying to discuss what both of us want, write up an agreement and then go to a lawyer and have it legalized/official.

My question is can a lawyer do this, or do we still have to go to court to have it legalized/official?

My jurisdiction is: New York

I live in New York, my EXgirlfriend lives in Virginia with (our)my son for 11 months.

She wants to have sole physical custody on (our)my son with me having visitation.
Also she wants to have joint legal custody.

We are trying to discuss what both of us want, write up an agreement and then go to a lawyer and have it legalized/official.

My question is can a lawyer do this, or do we still have to go to court to have it legalized/official?

Yes, you can do that if you're both in agreement; however, it still has to go through the court. A lawyer can't make it legalized or official without a court order. If you both agree, the court process will be cheaper, quicker, and simpler.

A notarized document still does not make it a court order. since you are both in agreement you should see about filing an actual custody and visitation order through the courts. See if you 2 can go through mediation or maybe a paralegal can prepare the documents for lost cost. If you are paying child support, it really should be through the bureau that way it can be proven you paid it. If you do give her any money make sure to write child support on the check. Also make sure you talk abouyt holidays, birthdays, fathers day, mothers day, etc.. Include all those in the visitation schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back