Sold car as is.

Taylor Knecht

Jurisdiction
Ohio
Last week two guys came out to look at our car. They spent a good 45 minutes or so looking it over and test drove it for about 10-15 minutes. We told them while they were looking at it that it started miss firing on us a couple days prior. We just don't have the time or money to put in it to fix it and is why we were getting rid of it. After the test drive they came back and said they wanted it. Tile was signed over and both keys were given to them. They left. About a half later they call saying it was overheating and not stay running (which we've never had that problem before) and that they didn't get very far up the road and wanted their money back. The car was sold as is and we felt we didnt have to refund them.. Are we correct?? Also since they weren't very far up the road we told them they store the car there and get a tow truck to come back and get it. We were not home when they drop the car off so upon returning home we found that they took all the lug nuts off of all four tires and took one tire with them. What do we have to do to get them to get the car or can we have it towed at their expense??

The car was sold as is and we felt we didnt have to refund them.. Are we correct??

Yes.

What do we have to do to get them to get the car or can we have it towed at their expense??

Is the car on your property or on the street?

When you signed over the title did you file your sold notice with the DMV?

Did you keep copies of your "as is" bill of sale and completed title?

Tile was signed over and both keys were given to them. They left.

How much CA$H did you receive from the "sucker", err "buyer"?

Before the "sucker," err, "buyer" left were you paid in full with CA$H?

The car was sold as is and we felt we didnt have to refund them.. Are we correct?

Unless you gave a warranty or made some misrepresentation, you have no obligation once the sale is completed.

Also since they weren't very far up the road we told them they store the car there and get a tow truck to come back and get it. We were not home when they drop the car off so upon returning home we found that they took all the lug nuts off of all four tires and took one tire with them. What do we have to do to get them to get the car or can we have it towed at their expense?

I don't entirely follow this part of the story. Can you please rephrase?

Make sure you report the sale to the DMV by filing a realease of liability. You have your money and handed over the title. It is not your car anymore. Leave it alone... at least for now.

You are required to report the sale within a certain period of days. I suggest you go today and do it.

I suspect that the OP has no information about the person s/he sold the car to. Without that information, the OP won't be able to report the sale.

I suspect that the OP has no information about the person s/he sold the car to. Without that information, the OP won't be able to report the sale.
I have never reported a sale to the BMV so I do not know all the requirements and information I need to do so. We posted the car on Facebook marketplace And all Interactions went through Facebook messenger we do not have very much information on the buyer

Unless you gave a warranty or made some misrepresentation, you have no obligation once the sale is completed.

I don't entirely follow this part of the story. Can you please rephrase?

About 30 minutes after they bought the car and left they called and said they were very far up the road that they were having troubles with the car and wanted a refund. we told him that we wouldn't give them a refund but if they were able to bring the car back they could leave it there to get a tow truck and tow it home. they were able to get the car back to my house but before leaving the car there they took one of the tires and all of the Lugnuts off off the car. that was over a week ago and the car still sits on my property. They are not returning any calls or text I'm just trying to figure out how I can get them to move it off my property

400 cash paid in full

Good for you, now you simply need to complete the paperwork with your BMV ASAP.

If you delay and the car gets towed, you will probably be dunned and harassed for sums exceeding twice or thrice what you received for selling the car.

Good for you, now you simply need to complete the paperwork with your BMV ASAP.

If you delay and the car gets towed, you will probably be dunned and harassed for sums exceeding twice or thrice what you received for selling the car.

They are not returning any calls or text I'm just trying to figure out how I can get them to move it off my property

My guess is they did this to prevent you from using or selling the car to another person.

I suspect these folks have brushed up on the law of car sales and title transfers, and might try to use it against you in the near future.

I don't know anything about Ohio law relating to having a disabled vehicle "towed" from private property. I suggest contacting the local police about that.

Back