Social Services wants me to pay back a 28 year old tax rebate, can I fight this?

Linda L

Jurisdiction
Colorado
On Sept. 17, 2017 I received a letter from Colorado Social Services stating that in 1989 I got a rent rebate for $225.00. And when I applied for and received disability that same year, it was suppose to be paid back by Social Security from my first check. Social Services said that their records show Soc. Security did not reimburse them and they 'must' have sent me the whole disability check which left it up to me to reimburse them. I asked her if there was something that shows this that I can look at and she said no. She said they found my case by doing a hand search and could not provide me with proof that I owe this.

All I can say to that is 'People make mistakes' and this could be the case here.

On the back of the letter it states that the time for me to fight this has expired and I must contact them and pay the $225.00. How can this be when I just got this letter and heard nothing about it before this?

Who can I talk to about this, what kind of attorney? Or can someone tell me if I have any recourse here or not?

Thank you.
Linda L

On Sept. 17, 2017 I received a letter from Colorado Social Services stating that in 1989 I got a rent rebate for $225.00. And when I applied for and received disability that same year, it was suppose to be paid back by Social Security from my first check. Social Services said that their records show Soc. Security did not reimburse them and they 'must' have sent me the whole disability check which left it up to me to reimburse them. I asked her if there was something that shows this that I can look at and she said no. She said they found my case by doing a hand search and could not provide me with proof that I owe this.

All I can say to that is 'People make mistakes' and this could be the case here.

On the back of the letter it states that the time for me to fight this has expired and I must contact them and pay the $225.00. How can this be when I just got this letter and heard nothing about it before this?

Who can I talk to about this, what kind of attorney? Or can someone tell me if I have any recourse here or not?

Thank you.
Linda L

Most any attorney will meet with you.
However, an attorney will cost you 10 times (minimum) the amount in dispute = $225.

It might be easier to negotiate the amount owed, if that's offered, get it in writing.

Otherwise, paying will make your life easier.

Wow, that's pretty crazy that they have the time and resources to pursue something from so long ago. If it were me I would send a nicely worded written request for documentation proving the amount due and see what kind of response you get. If they persist and insist that you pay it, it probably wouldn't be worth fighting. I am surprised that they aren't also trying to collect 28 years of interest.

Wow, that's pretty crazy that they have the time and resources to pursue something from so long ago. If it were me I would send a nicely worded written request for documentation proving the amount due and see what kind of response you get. If they persist and insist that you pay it, it probably wouldn't be worth fighting. I am surprised that they aren't also trying to collect 28 years of interest.

Back