Social Security # Misuse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justine89

I have a real dilemma. I believe a woman (nearing retirement this yr) at work has gotten accessed to another employee's social security number and has used it to obtain personal and past employment information on this employee. I don't believe she has any intent on using it to gain financially but she has been using the inforamtion she has gotten to discredit the employee out of jealous. This employee has worked at the company for over 5 yrs is younger, personable, very well liked and respected and I think this was done out of jealousy.

For example, she has claimed that she called the employee's high school and they told her that the employee didn't graduate from there because her parents couldn't afford it. I thought you need to have someone's social security # to get that info. She also knows about her past jobs. The only way to find this out using a credit report.Or that she didn't graduate from college. If all of this true why doesn't she go to HR. I think it's bcause she misused her social security. In essence this woman is stalking the employee. I'm not sure what to do. Should I tell the employee ? Should I tell HR?

For the record, our social security numbers are very accessible. We fill them out on time cards that sit on our boss's desk. I think she copied it from the time card. How can I help this employee prove this breach of her privacy?

You are mistaken that an SSN is needed to do an educational check, particularly for a high school. While some high schools might ask for that, it's by no means required.

Additionally, contrary to what a great many people evidently think, there is no general data base by which an SSN can be used to get an individual's past work record.

While it is not impossible, nothing you have stated is proof that the SSN has been compromised.

If you're really worried about it, contact HR. But after that, LEAVE IT ALONE. Let HR handle it.

Misuse of SS#

I'm so hesitate. Maybe I will stay out of this one. Thanks for the advice.

By the way doesn't someone's credit report display past employment history. In order to get that I believe you need a SS#.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back