Social Security Breach

Status
Not open for further replies.

quest1

My jurisdiction is: Virginia

I am extremely upset after finding that my employer has provided my (and others') social security number(s) as usernames for a company with which my employer has decided to do business. Is this legal???

To clarify, I work in a rural school system in Virginia. During the opening days of school, we were required to attend a "Pinnacle Gradebook" workshop. The school system has "contracted" with the Pinnacle company which provides a web-based gradebook which will allow the administrators "to peek" into our gradebooks at anytime. To the best of my knowledge, this is the purpose of contracting with this company, although they could have another reason for this.

Unfortunately, days later, when faculty members tried logging into the program with our school cafeteria numbers, we were told that if this number did not work, to use our social security numbers. I considered this a problem, and reported to the school system tech person that the cafeteria number did not work and that I was not using my SSN.

He responded that our SSN was the log-in for this program and he understood my concern, but it was out of his control.

Several teachers have logged into the program using their SSNs, therefore, I must assume that our SSNs have been provided to this company; I have specifically asked this question, and no one has denied that this has happened. Our building principal said that the company was provided with "a nine-digit number" and he couldn't imagine what else it would be. In addition, the administrators are "back-peddling" on the required use of this program "until they can get the bugs worked out."

One teacher tried logging in with her SSN, but couldn't get in. When she inquired what her username log-in was, the number provided to her was her ex-husband's number whom she divorced 7 years ago; he has not worked in this county for that length of time!!!!

My questions pertain to the legality of what the school system has done with regard to disclosing my SSN without my permission, AND what I need to do to protect my identity. This breach of security is inexcusable!

I am at retirement age with years of service completed although I am still working full-time. I don't have a lot of money, but would like not to lose what I have as a result of stupidity on someone's part.

:no:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back