Small Claims - won case. Trying to collect

Status
Not open for further replies.

racermark

I'm in Wisconsin and won a small claims case judgment. I had to file in contempt of court
since I didn't receive a financial disclosure (assets). Just had that court appearance. So I have the financial disclosure now. But the defendant lied about his bank account - he wrote two letters crossed them out then put a different bank in. I e-mailed/called the bank that was written in but there was no account. It was actually the bank where the first two letters were crossed out. I can file in contempt for that.

Should I attempt a garnishment first and file in contempt of court after that? In Wisconsin, the first $1000 in an account is exempt from garnishment (non-earnings. If there isn't much money in the account, then that's a waste if there isn't much in it. Garnishing wages I'm not sure about either cause he's the owner of the business. And I think only employee now.

I'm going to get information about doing a subpoena on the bank. That's an idea.

Or should I just file in contempt of court for giving false information on the financial disclosure? What are your thoughts?

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back