Retaliatory Eviction Slumlord retaliation eviction all evidence to show

Status
Not open for further replies.

sreidenbach2

My apartment complex is owned by a local real estate attorney who preys on the low-income families in our community. This man is the complete package SLUMLORD! I moved in 3yrs ago, I've never been late on rent, never had any problems. Ideal tenant! 2 yrs ago it was brought to his attention that another tenant in my building had bought a used microwave apparently infested with COCK ROACHES! So of course it was only a matter of time before all 10units in my building had them. Now 2yrs later and his only attempts to fix the issues have failed (fogging), (Boric acid/Peanut butter), i sent a certified letter to him requesting the now massive infestation be addressed. Only to receive a Termination of Tenacy notice. Due to uninhabitable. Which after last night going to my 14m old baby's crib and turning on her light i was horrified to find there were several roaches crawling on her......!! SO YA ITS UNINHABITABLE!! However i cant afford to move! I cant put up first months and a deposit right off! Plus now since he allowed the problem to go on for so long EVERYTHING I OWN (which isn't much) IS GARBAGE!!! Im a single mother of 2girls one 9yrs the other 14m. My baby's daddy provides for us currently until im able to find a job which i may have found one already but this man has made my family live in COXK ROACH HELL FOR 2yrs!! AND NOW I HAVE TO MOVE BY THE 1st of OCT. AND ALL MY FAMILYS STUFF IS TRASH!! Can anyone help me or if you have any advice please share there has to be something i can do im not the first he has done this to, he just puts a mask over all the problems in these crap apartments then rents them again to some other poor family and does the same to them ive seen it the last3yrs, he paints over black mold! Refuses to rid the other building of bed bugs etc. the list IS 10 mikes long and i have 7 other tenants willing to vouch their story's too!! News 4investigates will run my story on mon, now landlord refused my rent, gave me 10days for causing problems and code dept. task force will be here for full inspection which he will fail.

Slumlord retaliates

My apartment complex is owned by a local real estate attorney who preys on the low-income families in our community. This man is the complete package SLUMLORD! I moved in 3yrs ago, I've never been late on rent, never had any problems. Ideal tenant! 2 yrs ago it was brought to his attention that another tenant in my building had bought a used microwave apparently infested with COCK ROACHES! So of course it was only a matter of time before all 10units in my building had them. Now 2yrs later and his only attempts to fix the issues have failed (fogging), (Boric acid/Peanut butter), i sent a certified letter to him requesting the now massive infestation be addressed. Only to receive a Termination of Tenacy notice. Due to uninhabitable. Which after last night going to my 14m old baby's crib and turning on her light i was horrified to find there were several roaches crawling on her......!! SO YA ITS UNINHABITABLE!! However i cant afford to move! I cant put up first months and a deposit right off! Plus now since he allowed the problem to go on for so long EVERYTHING I OWN (which isn't much) IS GARBAGE!!! Im a single mother of 2girls one 9yrs the other 14m. My baby's daddy provides for us currently until im able to find a job which i may have found one already but this man has made my family live in COXK ROACH HELL FOR 2yrs!! AND NOW I HAVE TO MOVE BY THE 1st of OCT. AND ALL MY FAMILYS STUFF IS TRASH!! Can anyone help me or if you have any advice please share there has to be something i can do im not the first he has done this to, he just puts a mask over all the problems in these crap apartments then rents them again to some other poor family and does the same to them ive seen it the last3yrs, he paints over black mold! Refuses to rid the other building of bed bugs etc. the list IS 10 mikes long and i have 7 other tenants willing to vouch their story's too!! SOMEONE

You may have forced the landlord to evict you. To properly address some problems the building has to be unoccupied. If there are code violations he might be required to get you out.
Depending on circumstances the landlord might be responsible for some of your expenses. You can research that.

My apartment complex is owned by a local real estate attorney who preys on the low-income families in our community. This man is the complete package SLUMLORD! I moved in 3yrs ago, I've never been late on rent, never had any problems. Ideal tenant! 2 yrs ago it was brought to his attention that another tenant in my building had bought a used microwave apparently infested with COCK ROACHES! So of course it was only a matter of time before all 10units in my building had them. Now 2yrs later and his only attempts to fix the issues have failed (fogging), (Boric acid/Peanut butter), i sent a certified letter to him requesting the now massive infestation be addressed. Only to receive a Termination of Tenacy notice. Due to uninhabitable. Which after last night going to my 14m old baby's crib and turning on her light i was horrified to find there were several roaches crawling on her......!! SO YA ITS UNINHABITABLE!! However i cant afford to move! I cant put up first months and a deposit right off! Plus now since he allowed the problem to go on for so long EVERYTHING I OWN (which isn't much) IS GARBAGE!!! Im a single mother of 2girls one 9yrs the other 14m. My baby's daddy provides for us currently until im able to find a job which i may have found one already but this man has made my family live in COXK ROACH HELL FOR 2yrs!! AND NOW I HAVE TO MOVE BY THE 1st of OCT. AND ALL MY FAMILYS STUFF IS TRASH!! Can anyone help me or if you have any advice please share there has to be something i can do im not the first he has done this to, he just puts a mask over all the problems in these crap apartments then rents them again to some other poor family and does the same to them ive seen it the last3yrs, he paints over black mold! Refuses to rid the other building of bed bugs etc. the list IS 10 mikes long and i have 7 other tenants willing to vouch their story's too!! News 4investigates will run my story on mon, now landlord refused my rent, gave me 10days for causing problems and code dept. task force will be here for full inspection which he will fail.

His letter appears to be A NOTICE TO VACATE.
I think you have the BIG COCKROACH on the run!!!
You can choose to ignore it.
But, you were smarter than the average tenant.
You CHOSE to fight IT legally.
Good on you, madam.

Be not discouraged, be of good cheer, you are about to slay yourself a giant, LEGALLY!!!!

If you do, he'll have to take you to court, where you can argue your uninhabitability issues.
The eviction proceedings can take 6-12 weeks to be decided.
During that time you can save and prepare to move, or vacate at your pace.
Getting the media involved was smart.
That can be very helpful to show the news report to the judge, as well as subpoena the reporter and crew to testify to the horrid conditions.
You should also document and record your baby being assaulted by roaches, by capturing videos and pictures.
Also capture the beasts and save them in jars to show the court.

Save all rent monies to cure the default in rent that this has caused.
Don't spend it, save it.
You can choose to pay up, eventually, or choose to use it for your new digs.
Just don't use it for any other purpose, save it, be ready to choose.

I give you a better than 75% chance to prevail, which is unheard of in these cases, as long as you stick to the facts; avoiding emotion and invective.

Last thing, OP, your Clark County Courts published a great article on the issue of unaccountability in tenancies,
Take a look see:

http://www.clarkcountycourts.us/CivilSHC/landlord-tenant-evictions/essential-services.html

As far as I can determine, this provision applies in YOUR case:

Building, grounds, appurtenances and all other areas under the landlord's control at the time the tenancy began that are clean, sanitary and reasonably free from all accumulations of debris, filth, rubbish, garbage, rodents, insects and vermin.

They even laid out the steps for you to pursue a remedy.
It seems you've done it just this way, if not, correct any missteps.

Step 1: Deliver Written Notice. Give written notice specifying the problem to the landlord or the person within this State authorized to act for and on behalf of the landlord for the purpose of receiving notices. Notice is not required if the landlord receives written notice of the problem from a code enforcement agency. Click here ( link to pg. ) for information on how to contact a code enforcement agency in your area.

Step 2: Wait 14 days. The landlord must use his best efforts to comply within 14 days after being notified, or more promptly if conditions require in case of emergency. If the landlord has not, proceed to Step 3.

Step 3: Select a remedy. If, the landlord has failed to fix, or use his best efforts to fix, the problem, the tenant may take any of the following actions:

Withhold rent (if the tenant is being evicted for non-payment of rent, the tenant must pay the rent into the court's escrow account to be able to raise habitability as a defense in any eviction action).
Repair and deduct the costs of the repair from the rent after submitting to the landlord an itemized statement (Note: the cost of the repair cannot exceed one month's rent and the tenant must have notified the landlord of the tenant's intention to correct the condition at the landlord's expense at the time the tenant sent the notice in Step 1)
Terminate the rental agreement; and/or
Sue the landlord for damages and/or an order to repair the problem(s).

Last edited:
Further, when you go to move, rent a uhaul or ryder truck, fill it with your belongings and release a few foggers. Put the stuff in a storage unit and fog again in 30 days and then at 60 days. Your stuff should be roach dead by then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back