Premises Liability Slipped on Wet Floor in Restaurant

Status
Not open for further replies.

amberkarin

Last weekend, I was visiting a restaurant with a friend for lunch. It had been raining pretty bad, so there was a good amount of water on the floor in the entrance of the restaurant. There was no mat and no wet floor sign. I tried to maneuver around it, but of course, I slipped and fell. No one saw except for my friend. I sat on the floor for a minute to collect my thoughts before my friend helped me up. My friend helped me to the nearest table because I was having difficulty walking. He went to notify the manager who came over to ask if I was okay and if I needed anything. I asked for ice because my knee was already extremely swollen. The manager walked away and came back with a large bag of ice that was already half melted. My friend insisted that I call an ambulance, which he did for me. While waiting for the ambulance, the manager returned to the table and gave me two free coupons for my next visit. There was no mention of filing an accident report or if I needed medical attention. I was in so much pain, I didn't think about it until afterwards.

While at the hospital, I was received x-rays of my knee. The doctor informed that I had sprained my right knee and that I was to return to work on Tuesday (three days later). I was also given a prescription for pain medicine which I have not filled because I cannot afford it. I returned to work on Tuesday in an extreme amount of pain. I'm a cashier at a grocery store, so I'm required to stand throughout my shift. I toughed it out that day, but was not able to do the same on Wednesday. I only worked two hours because putting all of my weight on my left leg was a terrible amount of pain.

I do not have insurance nor am I eligible for benefits at my place of employment. I've never been in this situation before, so I have no idea what to do. My friend that was with me at the time of the fall has been encouraging me to seek legal advice, but I have no idea what to do. I found this forum on a search engine and I'm looking for any advice I can get.

My friend took a picture of the floor after I fell, as well. I'm hoping this will help me. I tried to post the picture in this post, but I do not have enough posts to do that.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post, as well as any advice I receive.

-Amber

Last weekend, I was visiting a restaurant with a friend for lunch. It had been raining pretty bad, so there was a good amount of water on the floor in the entrance of the restaurant. There was no mat and no wet floor sign. I tried to maneuver around it, but of course, I slipped and fell. No one saw except for my friend. I sat on the floor for a minute to collect my thoughts before my friend helped me up. My friend helped me to the nearest table because I was having difficulty walking. He went to notify the manager who came over to ask if I was okay and if I needed anything. I asked for ice because my knee was already extremely swollen. The manager walked away and came back with a large bag of ice that was already half melted. My friend insisted that I call an ambulance, which he did for me. While waiting for the ambulance, the manager returned to the table and gave me two free coupons for my next visit. There was no mention of filing an accident report or if I needed medical attention. I was in so much pain, I didn't think about it until afterwards.

While at the hospital, I was received x-rays of my knee. The doctor informed that I had sprained my right knee and that I was to return to work on Tuesday (three days later). I was also given a prescription for pain medicine which I have not filled because I cannot afford it. I returned to work on Tuesday in an extreme amount of pain. I'm a cashier at a grocery store, so I'm required to stand throughout my shift. I toughed it out that day, but was not able to do the same on Wednesday. I only worked two hours because putting all of my weight on my left leg was a terrible amount of pain.

I do not have insurance nor am I eligible for benefits at my place of employment. I've never been in this situation before, so I have no idea what to do. My friend that was with me at the time of the fall has been encouraging me to seek legal advice, but I have no idea what to do. I found this forum on a search engine and I'm looking for any advice I can get.

My friend took a picture of the floor after I fell, as well. I'm hoping this will help me. I tried to post the picture in this post, but I do not have enough posts to do that.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post, as well as any advice I receive.

-Amber

First of all, document everything that you can recall about the incident.
Do this in writing, and ask your friend to do the same.
Make sure you detail the pain you are experiencing and how it impacts the ability to go about your daily activities!
You then schedule an appointment with a personal injury attorney in your area.
You can look in the telephone book, ask your friends and relatives for referrals, and contact some you might have seen on television and print advertisements.

When you meet with the attorney, ask your friend to accompany you.
Take all medical reports, bills, proof of earnings (loss of earnings), photographs, receipts from your day at the restaurant, coupons you received form the manager, and any other thing that helps prove your injuries and pain!

The attorney will tell you if you have a case.
From what you indicate, you have a case.
I don't know how strong it is.
But, you should at least pursue it.
In fact, talk to at least three attorneys.
The initial consult is free.
If he/she takes your case, it'll be done on a contingency.
That means he/she wuill get nothing unless you get something.
They usually take 1/4 to 1/3 of your award or settlement.

Finally, if you are in pain, you should see a physician at least 3-6 times a week.
You should get therapy.
Your activities wil be restricted.
Your life will be impacted for the worse.
All of that helps prove your case.
Good luck, and I hope you start to get better soon!

I think that you will be able to get your injury claim. Go to your local attorney and he will help you out in get your claim. It is easy to get claim for work related injuries if the attorney is good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back