Slipped and fell in hotel tub

Shirlyn Harris

Jurisdiction
Florida
I live in Texas and went to Coco Beach, FL a day early and stayed in a hotel to catch our cruise the next day. While at the hotel I stepped into the shower with the shower on and slid all over that tub trying to keep my balance. It was like I was on a sheet of ice in that tub. I fell and my left hand hit the tub's metal stopper which punctured my left hand. With the force of still sliding my body flipped me on my backside. I tried to get out the tub but I could not because I was still sliding with everything attempt not to fall. There was no railings to hold on to. My husband had to put towels underneath me so I could get out the tub which was also a challenge because of the slipper tub. I finally got out and blood was was everywhere coming from my hand. We called the hotel front desk and they sent a ambulance to take me to the hospital. I got 9 stiches in my hand and I was also sore from the fall. I did not get any broken bones. The hotel admitted to just glazing the tub. They comped the room. They called me yesterday and said they would pay for my medical bill. I still went on my cruise and could not enjoy it because of my hand which got infected. The ship's doctor only could give me ointment and bandages for my hand plus I was still sore from the fall. When I got back home from my trip I saw my doctor and she gave me another week off from my job to recover and meds for my issues. The fall happened Oct 27, 2018. Should I seek legal action for my pain and suffering and the cost of my trip?

You can try but you are unlikely to succeed. The infection isn't the fault of the hotel, nor the fact that you "couldn't enjoy the cruise" to whatever level you felt you should have been able to. You still were able to go on the cruise. Your medical bills were all paid. You were comped the hotel room, though that wasn't necessary.

I've fallen in a hotel tub before, and mine was shortly after I had surgery and it resulted in bruises and pulled stitches. I know it sucks, but it just doesn't equal a huge payday. You can always talk to a lawyer but expect to pay far more in legal fees than you recoup. (I also manage liability claims now among other things, most of which are minor slips and falls).

You can try but you are unlikely to succeed. The infection isn't the fault of the hotel, nor the fact that you "couldn't enjoy the cruise" to whatever level you felt you should have been able to. You still were able to go on the cruise. Your medical bills were all paid. You were comped the hotel room, though that wasn't necessary.

I've fallen in a hotel tub before, and mine was shortly after I had surgery and it resulted in bruises and pulled stitches. I know it sucks, but it just doesn't equal a huge payday. You can always talk to a lawyer but expect to pay far more in legal fees than you recoup. (I also manage liability claims now among other things, most of which are minor slips and falls).
Thank you for your advise.

I think your hotel was very generous to cover what they already have.
Nothing about your story shows any negligence on the part of the hotel.

Should I seek legal action for my pain and suffering and the cost of my trip?

Before you decide, I suggest you consult with at least 4 or 5 personal injury attorneys near you.

Most attorneys will offer a FREE case evaluation, so all the consultations will cost you is about 30 minutes of your time for each meeting.

Anything you discuss with the attorneys will be held in confidence and is protected communication.

A face to face consultation will yield helpful information upon which you can make an informed choice.

The hotel said they had just glazed the tub and the tub should of had skid protection but it did not.

Given that (assuming you have that admission in writing or can get employees to testify to that in court) I tend to agree that there could be liability on the part of the hotel for creating a hazardous condition and not warning anybody.

Given your stitches and time off from work there is certainly a pain and suffering element to your claim and possibly loss of income (which actually can include loss of PTO that you can't use again).

I'm guessing that you'll be under medical care for a while until your stitches come out and you are fully recovered.

There is no way to estimate what your claim might be worth until you are fully recovered and all bills are paid and it can be quantified. Though my gut says maybe a few thousand dollars but don't quote me on that.

Never hurts to consult an attorney and review your options.

The hotel said they had just glazed the tub and the tub should of had skid protection but it did not.

I don't see it as a strong argument. You are not likely to get anything more than you already have.
As suggested, talk to some personal injury attorneys. Maybe there is something to work with, maybe not.

Back