sister says I cant speak to or see my niece or nephew

Status
Not open for further replies.

EBOWERSOX427

Awhile back I corrected my niece (told her to be more careful) when she was being unsafe with a whiffle bat and ball. My niece almost caused injury to my son. While at our moms house. I knew this would cause some confrontation with my sister so I gathered my things and was going to leave. I was still inside my moms residence when my sister came in and started yelling at me. I told my sister that I could tell she was upset, but I didn't want to discuss it at the moment, and that we'd talk about it later when my sister had some time to cool off. I turned around to leave. That's when she restrained me and pinned me against a rear doorway. I turned my face around to tell her to let me go, but i didn't get a chance to speak because she let go and when i got myself turned around (facing her) she punched me in the jaw. I called the cops, she admitted to everything and was fined. She and I attend the same church and occasionally I tell my niece and nephew that i love/miss them. She was told of my communications with them and has threatened a no contact order? I don't see how she has any right telling me I cant tell my niece and nephew that i love and miss them. I dont want a relationship with my sister but i wouldn't like it if I didn't get to see or speak to my niece and nephew anymore. She is very approachable and a discussion with her about the matter is problematic

Its unlikely she can get a no contact order however you might be wise to cease all contact or else face another ugly confrontation

I want my niece and nephew to know that despite the issues there mom and I have I still love and care for them, so ceasing contact isn't really optimistic.

Ceasing contact is not the end result I hope to achieve, I want my niece and nephew to know that I will always love them despite whatever issues there mother and i might have.

You are an aunt. It is admirable for you to admit that you love your niece and nephew.
But, you have no legal say in how she (your sister) raises her children.
She is supreme in that regard, you don't count.
I suggest you make amends, or you will be unable to see those kids until they turn 18 and become adults.
Sorry, you have no say, and you have no case or legal standing.

So I cant even TALK to them? I mean we go to the same church. I see them in the nursery when I pick up my son. Ive been going to that church for years, and she just recently started attending. If I continue talking to them...whats the worst-case scenario?

Actually no. Worst case scenario, if Aunty continues contact against the wishes of the parent, IS actually an RO or NCO.

No third party has the "right" to contact a minor against the wishes of the parent unless there is a court order providing for such contact.

I sympathize with your situation. I have experienced family issues similar to this and continue to have strong relationships with my nieces and nephew. If you need affordable legal advice this site called LawPivot.com is running a really good Groupon deal: $29 for Answers to Three Personal or Business Legal Questions (Up to $147 Value) http://www.groupon.com/deals/lawpivot-1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back