Sister given child custody after parent death..now wont let child see former caretaker

AmyO

Jurisdiction
Nebraska
After a murder of a dominant parent ..kraig..who i was close with and made me a frequent care taker since birth.the other parent lost temp rights to kraigs sister. Kraig was adopted and had no blood relation. At birth the mother kedt the home and only in his lufe once or twuce a year...i was a clise friend and helped raise the child. U would come and stay on the weekend..holidays..special events..and during rhe week to clean.bring groceries and clean household. I was given the title of godparent by both legal patents but was never documented legally. After kraigs death..i was told i could see the boy and would be able yo be in his life...so i supported tje sisters way for custody, a day after custidy was awarded..u emailed asking for school picture and i was told never to contact thrm again. Kraig past away nov. 2 2017...i was there for tbe child during funeral and was allowed one hour on christmas..even though ive sent money..cards. holiday gifts ive never been allowed to see or talk to tbe child again...i have low income an unable to hire an attorney..bur uf somehiw coukd gwt the money..di i have any rights to visitations?

Regrettably, despite your kindness and concern you have no lawful right to be involved in the life of the child.

On a positive note, most children one day become adults.

You will then be free to contact the person you knew as a child upon his becoming an adult.

After a murder of a dominant parent ..kraig..who i was close with and made me a frequent care taker since birth.the other parent lost temp rights to kraigs sister. Kraig was adopted and had no blood relation. At birth the mother kedt the home and only in his lufe once or twuce a year...i was a clise friend and helped raise the child. U would come and stay on the weekend..holidays..special events..and during rhe week to clean.bring groceries and clean household. I was given the title of godparent by both legal patents but was never documented legally. After kraigs death..i was told i could see the boy and would be able yo be in his life...so i supported tje sisters way for custody, a day after custidy was awarded..u emailed asking for school picture and i was told never to contact thrm again. Kraig past away nov. 2 2017...i was there for tbe child during funeral and was allowed one hour on christmas..even though ive sent money..cards. holiday gifts ive never been allowed to see or talk to tbe child again...i have low income an unable to hire an attorney..bur uf somehiw coukd gwt the money..di i have any rights to visitations?

Godparent isn't a legal title - it's religious. It doesn't really mean anything legally.

Legally you have no standing. The child's aunt has custody. The only person who can do anything is the mother if she hasn't lost her rights. You were a friend who helped out. Unfortunately that's it.

Godparent isn't a legal title - it's religious. It doesn't really mean anything legally.

Legally you have no standing. The child's aunt has custody. The only person who can do anything is the mother if she hasn't lost her rights. You were a friend who helped out. Unfortunately that's it.
She h

She had not lost rights but even after doing evetytjing judge asked gave custody to sister which didnt makw sense..and tne sister isnt biological. Her brother wad adopted and didnt gwt along very well with the sister..she haf not been thete throught his whole childhood..uaed me andy suppirt to get custody..then day after banned me
..its makes mw so sad i get sick thinling about it After my kids father is murdered he thinks i abandoned him too...and he is not goven pics of his dad. This is just crazy i cannot ask tbe jydge or anything as i helped raise him to have a once a month visit...five mun..a phone call..anything to tell him im always here.

Well thank you everyone for your response...if you should happen to think of anything at all..tbe mother gets supetvised visitations...tbe supervisor usthe husband of the guardian...which i think is u fair as well...she said i could visit him but dont think supervisor would let me...is there some sort of petition..ir paperwirk i can full out to ask judge...anyrhing at all pkease email me. Amyolson118@gmail.com

Well thank you everyone for your response...if you should happen to think of anything at all..tbe mother gets supetvised visitations...tbe supervisor usthe husband of the guardian...which i think is unfair as well...she said i could visit him but dont think supervisor would let me...is there some sort of petition..ir paperwirk i can full out to ask judge...anything at all please email me. Amyolson118@gmail.com

Regrettably, despite your kindness and concern you have no lawful right to be involved in the life of the child.

On a positive note, most children one day become adults.

You will then be free to contact the person you knew as a child upon his becoming an adult.
Thank you

Thank you

She had not lost rights but even after doing evetytjing judge asked gave custody to sister which didnt makw sense..and tne sister isnt biological. Her brother wad adopted and didnt gwt along very well with the sister..she haf not been thete throught his whole childhood..uaed me andy suppirt to get custody..then day after banned me
..its makes mw so sad i get sick thinling about it After my kids father is murdered he thinks i abandoned him too...and he is not goven pics of his dad. This is just crazy i cannot ask tbe jydge or anything as i helped raise him to have a once a month visit...five mun..a phone call..anything to tell him im always here.

When he's 18 you can have contact if he seeks you out or if you see him. That's about it. Yeah it does suck. I helped raise my ex's oldest son when he was 2 months old until he was 4. Then I went to the military and we broke up and he married someone else. Then they broke up and we got back together. Got married. I didn't see the kid again until he was like 8. He didn't remember me. Broke my heart. Then he got abused by his stepfather and I told my ex husband we needed to get him a lawyer and he needed to get custody. Nope. The mom went on a meth binge in and out of jail and the stepdad got custody. We did get to see him sometimes. But I haven't seen him since Feb last year and he won't answer me when I message him about his sister (my daughter with his dad). He's been like a son to me as well as my ex's other two kids have been like my own but they're not mine. Shit happens. Just gotta deal with it and move on.

I get that you are close to this child. I have children in my life with whom I am extremely close and are not mine, but that does not entitle me legally to spend time with those kids. Judges can not force friendships and it is up to the legal guardians of the kids to decide who gets to spend time with them. Even if you were biologically related you would not be entitled to ask for visitation if you were not the parent. Not that biology is ever required; an adopted child or sibling has the same legal standing as one who shares DNA.

Actually, you can go to court if you can prove what you say that you were in the child's life as caregiver and ask for visitation rights. I don't know how old the child is but if they can remember you it would be worth the fight. If they are so small that they may not remember then I'd advise that you just let the child be calmly. Its interesting why the sister/aunt will not allow you to see the child now? Did she state any reason?

Actually, you can go to court if you can prove what you say that you were in the child's life as caregiver and ask for visitation rights. I don't know how old the child is but if they can remember you it would be worth the fight. If they are so small that they may not remember then I'd advise that you just let the child be calmly. Its interesting why the sister/aunt will not allow you to see the child now? Did she state any reason?

Not in Nebraska. The only thing I found is grandparent visitation and ONLY if certain conditions are met. I found nothing about third party visitation rights. So no this person cannot request visitation in Nebraska.

Back