singled-out one month post maternity leave

ML4325

Jurisdiction
Illinois
I came back from maternity leave a little over one month ago. Last week Thursday I was told to come meet my superiors to discuss our client. One of the owners of the company attended this meeting and he said he was "hijacking the meeting to have a mini, real-time performance review."

Some background:
- I was promoted last November to a manger position.
- I have not had a formal performance review since last November.
- Prior to leaving on maternity leave I was a high performer. My client was emailing my bosses to tell them how much of a "rock star" I am and how much they are going to miss me while I am gone.
- The day before my performance review there was a meeting behind closed doors about my performance with HR. There were two individuals who I have been working with over the past month and someone who I was previously working with before leave (who was sticking up for me). My friend overheard this entire conversation since we have paper thin walls.
- During last week's review I was not given anything in writing, and was only given 30 minutes before my supervisor and the owner had to leave. I was also told that the project I was working on would wrap up in two weeks, but I would be rolling off the following day.
- I am on a flexible work arrangement (nothing in writing) where I am working in the office from 9-4, and also working from home 1-2 days a week.

I feel completely blind sighted and singled out. I was told that the company was going to support me, and didn't realize that one month back I would have a performance review. My company is extremely gossipy so if it gets out that I am a poor performer (which I don't think I am), then I will not be put on good projects and ultimately in a few months may get let go.

Is there anything here? What would be your next steps?

Your best bet is to seek new employment before your current company terminates your employment.

Contrary to popular misconception, an employer can fire you at anytime, and without explanation.

I don't see where your employer did anything illegal.

Back