Single out

helpme101

Jurisdiction
New Jersey
I worked for a long term facility. We have Union Representative , unfortunately they have been not helpful with my case. I have been a regular in a certain floor, and I was moved to a different floor since two of my residents was involved with physical altercation that was trying to get my attention. And one resident had been harassing me. This was last 2018. The management told me that I will be move permanently and stay on that floor and will only be moved as part of pull list. Now 2021 lately, they tagged me as a float which means that I am not a regular on any floor and be moved as they please. We have two float people that are but they rather used to float me. Insisting I am on a float status which never happen. Can I file for a case

In general a private (i.e. non government) employer may assign work as it pleases to its employees unless there is a contract that restricts how the employer may assign work to the employee. Here you indicate that you are a member of a union which suggests that there is a union collective bargaining agreement (CBA) between the employer and the union. If so, then the answer to whether you have any recourse here depends on exactly what that contract says. I've obviously not read that contract so I cannot tell you if the employer is doing anything wrong. If the union rep won't help you then take a copy of the CBA to an employment law attorney near you for advice. Most attorneys give free initial consultations. That's the best way to find out if you have any action you can take.

Agree with Tax that this is solely a matter of your union contract. As a matter of law, they can move you or change your status to and from float every day if they want to.

Back