Single mother looking to terminate biological Father's parental rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

KMorgaine

Hello. My situation is a tad bit complicated, as it involves two separate states, Indiana and Ohio.
Situation/Issue:

I am trying to terminate parental rights for my daughter's absent biological father, but Legal Aid of Western Ohio said the only way to do so is if she has someone adopt her upon termination. It is against my beliefs to marry (not religion-personal choice). I want to terminate parental rights because he is a drug addict who has told people he wants her if i were to pass away. She would get SSI and Social security. He is not capable of taking care of her and has 2 other children he has abandoned. I am afraid (if anything happens to me) he would get custody of her upon my death. I have a long term boyfriend (I am against marriage) who I want to have custody, him or my sister.

Background:

INDIANA
My daughter was born in 2001 and I was 18. Her father and I were never married, and he was not present for the pregnancy and actually wanted an abortion. He seen his child one time when he signed the paternity affidavit.
March 2002 a judgement of paternity was issued for my daughter (father did not appear). Paternity was established, and court ordered custody to mother, he has parenting time, ordered to pay 40.00 per week for child support and 50% of insurance.
No contact with father after court date, and mother moved to new state as of January 2004. Mother attempted to contact father, to no avail. (later found out he was incarcerated). Needed insurance for child, as child was diagnosed as being deaf.

OHIO
Mother granted SSI for child in Ohio, on foodstamps as well. Child is considered disabled.
Contact made in 2006 and visit to Indiana was instigated by mother. Visit supervised and another made in 2006, also supervised. Father disappeared until 2007.
Contact made again by mother, visitation (supervised) in Ohio happened in June of 2007. Last time father seen child.
Contact made again in 2009. Wanted to see child, but unable to come to Ohio. Verbal agreement was made: I told him that he was able to visit but he had to meet three conditions a) Learn ASL b) Update child support agency and c) consistent contact. He agreed to terms yet he has failed each condition.

Courts set a petition for contempt on 7/222011 for non-payment of child support in INDIANA. he did not show, as he was currently in jail. continuance
Another continuance ordered on 9/16/2011
Nothing has happens since this day.

No contact until 2012, father found on Facebook, messages sent, and promptly ignored.

Issues:

1. Daughter is Deaf and the biological father does not know or is willing to learn American Sign Language
2. Biological father is addicted to heroin (family members have notified me of this, was in the hospital of overdose at one point and caught with paraphernalia).
3. Homeless
4. Has been convicted of battery and assault. Has been incarcerated for this charge, and also been charged and convicted of theft and incarcerated for this. Charges dropped for an attempted rape, attempted child molestation and sexual battery of a minor.
5. Has not contacted me (mother of child) in regards to daughter on any occasion, all contact (6 visits in total) were instigated by mother-all prior to 2007.
6. Has not seen daughter since 2007.
7. Is in arrears for child support for 16,301.05 as of 7/21/2011

According to the state of Ohio, I need to be married and someone needs to adopt the child. Is jurisdiction in Indiana? How do i go about filing for termination (according to the form "circumstances that are grounds for termination of parental rights Rev. Stat. 2151.414 this situation meets three of the criteria; The parent has demonstrated a lack of commitment toward the child by failing to regularly support, visit or communicate with the child when able to do so, the parent has abandoned the child, and the parent is repeatedly incarcerated, and the repeated incarceration prevents the parent from providing care for the child.
Also, chronic mental illness, emotional illness, mental retardation, physical disability, or chemical dependency makes the parent unable to provide an adequate permanent home for the child.

Please let me know if i can terminate parental rights. I am so scared she may end up with him, if anything happens to me. I am under the poverty line and I cannot afford a lawyer. I have saved enough money for filing a form but not sure what I need to file, and if it I will even win.
Thank you guys SO MUCH!!!
~KMorgaine

First off your state law is already known to you how do you plan to avoid this law? Second if Dad does not wish his rights terminated it isnt going to happen

How is it the only way to terminate parental rights to get married, or have an adoption if: the absent parent has abandoned the child (they can have rights taken away). Everyday people have CPS take children away for various offenses.
Is there any other way to go about having contact restricted or denyed prior to anything happening to me. This can go about another name, but i dont know what that is. "abandonment judgement, parental neglect, etc...." parental termination is not the only route. my question is What is?

As I stated in the background section, "He seen his child one time when he signed the paternity affidavit". So yes. Paternity is established custody ordered (me-full custody)contempt charges (him) ALL in Indiana. The information I got from legal aid was from Ohio and they did not look into the details.
What state has jurisdiction?
What type of paperwork should be filed to show he is unfit for visitation/custody or any access upon my death.

None you cannot will a child or anything like that. If you should pass the state would seek out Father to take custody. Why are you fretting this are you sick?

I am well aware you cannot will out a child, they are not property. Wouldn't the state determine him unfit? why can this not be completed prior to anything happening to me.

Unfit usually means hes a danger to child or lives in a manner that might be harmful to child. Not seeing the child does not make him unfit

Did you read the whole post?
1. Daughter is Deaf and the biological father does not know or is willing to learn American Sign Language
2. Biological father is addicted to heroin (family members have notified me of this, was in the hospital of overdose at one point and caught with paraphernalia).
3. Homeless
4. Has been convicted of battery and assault. Has been incarcerated for this charge, and also been charged and convicted of theft and incarcerated for this. Charges dropped for an attempted rape, attempted child molestation and sexual battery of a minor.

I did not add the final three points as those are mainly no-contact and no- support.
EDIT: All of these have documentation

1. I bet you he'd learn IN A HEARTBEAT if the issue came up.

2. And the proof you have? Convictions, etc.,?

3. Believe it or not, homeless does NOT equate to "unfit".

4. Charges aren't that important. CONVICTIONS are important.

Look, the bottom line is that you cannot have his rights terminated in this situation.

Proof= convictions and affidavits from family members of drug use. Court documents of non-compliance of child support and he currently has warrants out for arrest for this matter. No employment and no way to support said child.
but Ok thank you. If i cannot have his rights terminated, Is it possible to have abandonment charges put against him?

In the eyes of the law, it would not matter if i was dying or not. If it was the reason, i would not be addressing that online.

Proof= convictions and affidavits from family members of drug use. Court documents of non-compliance of child support and he currently has warrants out for arrest for this matter. No employment and no way to support said child.
but Ok thank you. If i cannot have his rights terminated, Is it possible to have abandonment charges put against him?

I strongly suggest you speak with a local attorney.

Past convictions are not likely to matter.

Affidavits cannot be cross-examined.

OP, rest easy.

You and this man allegedly had a kid.

You have the kid.

Dad left you, or you left him.

It doesn't matter, because dude is gone.

Dude isn't coming back.

Dude doesn't want the kid.

Dude doesn't want you.

Dude is incapable of learning sign language, because dude barely can read and write.

There is nothing the law can do to this man YOU chose to sire you.

Yes, they could order him to pay child support.

No, they won't charge him with abandonment, because you're doing his job and yours.

Dude is out there, making babies.

Dude is like my mom's old Singer sewing machine, up and down, around and around, in and out, 'poppin' that old bobbin.

Yep, he's breeding like an old buck bunny.

Dude be chasing this honey, be gettin' with that honey.

Dude takes they honey, like an old bumblebee, then he takes they money.

He finds 'em, hits 'em, breeds 'em, and leaves 'em.

Dude is the Don Juan and Romeo at the Salvation Army Mission.

Dude be havin' that swave and swagger, then he hit 'em with he love dagger.

Nothing new there, so the law takes the "honey badger" position on all this; LAW DON'T CARE.

Last edited:
LMAO, dude! that made my day. Nice.

If I came off as angry, or bitter, I truly am not. All the things you go through in life make you who you are...and you learn from all stupid situations. I only want what is best for my kid. :)

LMAO, dude! that made my day. Nice.

If I came off as angry, or bitter, I truly am not. All the things you go through in life make you who you are...and you learn from all stupid situations. I only want what is best for my kid. :)

No worries.

That is exactly why I posted it that why.

I'm glad you laughed, but even happier you know.

I wish you nothing but the best.

You keep taking good care of that blessing, that's your child, never will be his.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back