Signing Over Rights To A Child

Status
Not open for further replies.

needto

I was seeing someone for about three months, she is 36, no kids, and never been married.She got pregnant. I realized that she is not someone I could spend the rest of my life with nor have a child with. She told me she was on birth control and I feel she did this purposely. I told her I financially and mentally am not prepared for a child. So if she chooses to have this child I don't want to be a part of their lives. Can I sign over my rights to this child, so I will not be obligated for anything pertaining to it.

No you cannot! However long as you do not sign any birth documents, Mom does not name you and, does not seek aid (like welfare or food stamps etc) the child will have no Father and you will have no legal obligation to child. Whether you want a relationship with Mom or not think carefully as you may want one with your child

. . . as long as you do not sign any birth documents, Mom does not name you and, does not seek aid (like welfare or food stamps etc) the child will have no Father and you will have no legal obligation to child 9sic) . . . . . . . .

What? With all respect due, from whence did you come up with that reply?

The child will have no biological father? (That hasn't happened for a little more than two millennia. And not a few believe that it has never happened.)

The issue of filiation rests entirely on whether or not the reputed father signed the "birth documents"?

The felony crime of the willful failure to provide for the support and care of one's minor children only applies if the birth mother applies for welfare or food stamps?

And in no instance will the reputed father be found culpable if he refused or was unavailable to sign the "birth documents"?

Well, I learn something every day, it seems. And I've just learned (re-learned in fact) that some folks in here should consider asking the questions and not trying to answer them.

Latigo, you know as well as I do (or you should) that Shrink was referring to the concept of the child having no LEGAL father.

Or, if you missed it, re-read Shrink's post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back