signing over parential rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

bizznizz

my ex has not been in our sons life since my son was about 6 months. we have been to court over 4 times in the last 3 years, each of which my ex is granted visitation. my ex would follow through with the court order for about 3 or 4(max) visits, after that my ex would disappear with not even a phone call here or there. the last time we were in court was about 2 years ago, my ex was granted over night weekend stays. since then my ex has followed through about 3 times in the first month with random phone calls & texts every couple months after that. my ex & i have spoken over this 'bouncing back and forth' in my sons life, but my ex continues to do so with little regard to my sons well being. my son acknowledges who his parents are, yet he will not accept my ex as his parent.

Question(s): How do you know if a court order is still valid?
How do i go about in order to have my ex's parental rights terminated or signed over?

The court order is valid until there's a new order.

You won't get his parental rights terminated based upon what you've said. Why doesn't your son accept his father as his parent? What are you doing to facilitate the fact that your ex IS his parent?

my son doesn't accept his father because hes angry at him. the thought of abandonment, the fact that every time he would take him for visitation the father favored his other kids,treating my son unfairly. my son just feels out of whack with him. i constantly remind my son who his father is, that even though he doesn't like him, he IS his father. i encourage my son to try and talk with his father whenever he comes around. still, my son won't budge.

my son doesn't accept his father because hes angry at him. the thought of abandonment, the fact that every time he would take him for visitation the father favored his other kids,treating my son unfairly. my son just feels out of whack with him. i constantly remind my son who his father is, that even though he doesn't like him, he IS his father. i encourage my son to try and talk with his father whenever he comes around. still, my son won't budge.

You're the parent. Your son doesn't control - YOU do.

Get your son into counseling to help him deal with this.

If Dad is not really acting on his rights then leave it at that. Instead of forcing issue let it be. Unless you have a husband who wishes to adopt this child your not going to be able to terminate his rights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back