Signing over ov children

Status
Not open for further replies.

haplucki

My fiance is going through a domestic case involving her three children ages 4,7,8. Here's my question the father said he wants to sign over the rights to the children to her. Do i need to adopt them? And what are the grandparental rights.

I can not answery your questions fully, but I did go through a step shild adoption and can state what i found to be true in my case. (i live in Texas). Generally the courts to not want to terminate parental rights unless there is someone who want to adopt them (as was my case).

Also grandparents do not have specific rights, only those that may be gotten through the parent and such that the parent may want to grant. When we terminated the father's rights, then his parents only had such rights as I and my wife were willign to allow them. I was willing for them to still see my son, but we have not heard from them since the adoption went through. My thought is if they want contact then they need to seek it, we are not going to go chasing them.

Why does he want to terminate rights, to get out of paying child support? does he see any of the kids? This is a terrible idea if there is a parent-child relationship already established.

You would be taking on a huge responsibility, legally and financially, by doing this and a judge is going to be very reluctant to do this. Actually you cannot do this until you have married her, and likely the judge will want you married for a certain amount of time.

It is hard to terminate rights involving 1 child, let alone 3.

I would not let this bio dad off so easy. If he does not want to pay support, too bad, your fiancee should file for child support.. He does not have to see the kids if he chooses not too. Child support and visitation are 2 seperate things.

Has your fiancee moved so he is not able to see the kids? Why does she want to do this?

The interest of the kids comes first here, and it is an uphill battle to prove a judge termination of rights is in the best interest of the children.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back