signed new lease to start in september, still able to cancel lease?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcmango

Hello, I'm a student who has leased an apartment from a landlord off campus in Ohio, Franklin County. I am renting through a 12 year lease.

I have almost completed an entire lease for 1 year, that was signed in September of 2009. This lease will end at the end of this month on August 31st, 2010. Which I have paid for entirely now.

I also signed a new lease back in march of 2010 this year. I was planning to stay but it would be ideal at this point to move out at the end of this month.

My question is, am I still able to cancel the new lease I signed in march because it has not started yet, it doesn't start until September 1st, 2010.

Many people have told me that I am not required by law to proceed with this new lease because it has not started yet, and I may be able to tell my landlord that I will not be proceeding with the new lease.

Thankyou for positive feedback to help me with this issue!

Hello, I'm a student who has leased an apartment from a landlord off campus in Ohio, Franklin County. I am renting through a 12 year lease.

I have almost completed an entire lease for 1 year, that was signed in September of 2009. This lease will end at the end of this month on August 31st, 2010. Which I have paid for entirely now.

I also signed a new lease back in march of 2010 this year. I was planning to stay but it would be ideal at this point to move out at the end of this month.

My question is, am I still able to cancel the new lease I signed in march because it has not started yet, it doesn't start until September 1st, 2010.

Many people have told me that I am not required by law to proceed with this new lease because it has not started yet, and I may be able to tell my landlord that I will not be proceeding with the new lease.

Thankyou for positive feedback to help me with this issue!

The answer my friend, is blowing in the words of your lease.
Reread your lease, know your lease.
Most likely, you will have to provide notice of your intentions NOT to continue renting from your landlord.
When you do that, it'll cost you "mucho dinero, amigo(a)".
So, approach your landlord and ask about not entering the new rental agreement.
I'm sure there may be a penalty.
But, ask and ye shall be told.

okay, well i did ask my landlord if he would let me out of my lease, and he denied that, only by saying that, "what would i do if he came to me a couple months before a new leased started and asked if he could rent to someone else"
..i'm assuming that meant he wouldn't do it, so he suggested i find someone who wanted to sublet. I've shown the place to sublet, but I haven't found anyone who really wants the place. So basically the landlord already said no, I've just been told by so many people i know that hes lieing, i can get out of it.

Oh you can get out of it, your not in prison, so thus you are able to leave whenever you want. However, expect to incur penalties and most likely a negative impact on your credit report, that future landlords may frown on. Give your landlord 30 days notice via certified mail with return receipt. And expect to pay for about two months or so of rent after you move out and you may have to kiss any deposit goodbye as well.

You can get out of it easily... just move.
The landlord has a responsibility to attempt to rent the place to minimize his loss. If he gets a new tenant then you are off the hook.
Your biggest problem is that you failed to notify him of all this before you came within 30 days of leaving.
It is not as difficult as it seems. Help your own cause to find a new willing renter. If the landlord denies a qualified renter to take your place then you are still off the hook.

Hi, i actually found a qualified renter to take over the new lease that hasn't started yet, and the landlord agreed to sign a new lease with the renter as long as i paid a new sublease fee of 250.00.
however when i did set up a meeting, i showed up along with the new tenant, but the landlord showed up 35 minutes late, and the tenant decided to leave before the landlord got there, now the new tenant changed their mind. a few days later, i decided to move all my things completely out, and I wrote a letter and left both keys to the apartment in the office 1 day before the new lease started. I also notified the landlord 6 hours before actually moving and received no word. I gave alot of effort to find a new renter and it seemed there isn't any serious effort from the landlord. I also asked him to fix some cracks a few days before showing the place to the tenant and he never did it, even after I have moved out the cracks are still there. I took pictures and have emails as proof of everything. Please if there is any further advice as to what the situation has come to, i'd appreciate it. thankyou.

rcmango said:
Hi, i actually found a qualified renter to take over the new lease that hasn't started yet, and the landlord agreed to sign a new lease with the renter as long as i paid a new sublease fee of 250.00.
however when i did set up a meeting, i showed up along with the new tenant, but the landlord showed up 35 minutes late, and the tenant decided to leave before the landlord got there, now the new tenant changed their mind. a few days later, i decided to move all my things completely out, and I wrote a letter and left both keys to the apartment in the office 1 day before the new lease started. I also notified the landlord 6 hours before actually moving and received no word. I gave alot of effort to find a new renter and it seemed there isn't any serious effort from the landlord. I also asked him to fix some cracks a few days before showing the place to the tenant and he never did it, even after I have moved out the cracks are still there. I took pictures and have emails as proof of everything. Please if there is any further advice as to what the situation has come to, i'd appreciate it. thankyou.

You'll be very lucky if your "now former" landlord doesn't sue your for breaking the lease "you" signed.

Try talking to him again.

Whatever happens, you're still on the hook until and unless the apartment is rented!!!!

If the landlord sues you he will have to show due diligence to re-rent the apartment and minimize the loss. If the landlord is not doing this then he will have trouble getting a judgment against you.

If you are sued, have that potential tenant appear with you and explain what happened.

You certainly were not obligated to pay any $250 fee either. This sounds like a landlord you were better off to avoid anyway.

It is possible a judge could order you to pay, but I bet it is even more likely that the landlord won't pursue this and will just find a new renter.

Okay, I also had some ads up on craigslist for awhile now, i've had a couple people still interested in the place, should i just continue to leave my ads up and give them the managements phone number, or should i definately take the ads down. I do not have the keys anymore, but the management is not trying to cooperate in showing anything for the apartment. thanks for all your feedback!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back