Sign the lease renewal with old tenant of an apartment

kapeskittu

Jurisdiction
Illinois
Hi,

I joined an apartment in which another person is staying on rent for past 2 years. I did not sign the rental lease yet for the apartment. My roommate was on lease for past 2 years and he is asking me to join the lease now as it reached for renewal. But he made some damages to the apartment already and if i join the lease now i will also be liable for the damages he made in the past. How can i make sure that i wont be liable for the damages he made in past even after signing a joint lease with him ?

Thanks,
Krishnaprasad Kattula.

Hi,

. How can i make sure that i wont be liable for the damages he made in past even after signing a joint lease with him ?

Thanks,
Krishnaprasad Kattula.

You can be sure if you rent the unit, you'll be charged for the damages.

Most people would simply say, "How kind of you to offer me to become part of your lease family. Sadly because of the existing damages, I must deline. I hope we can remain friends."

Then you RUN away as fast as a Cheetah.

How can i make sure that i wont be liable for the damages he made in past even after signing a joint lease with him ?

By getting the hell out of there and renting your own place. If all you can afford is a cheap studio or efficiency, then so be it, go live on your own and not turn in to one of the thousands of roommate sob stories that I read about every day.

You already know that this roommate is a big problem. If you stay under ANY circumstances, the consequences will be on you.

Another option is to ask the landlord to do an inspection of the property and note existing damages that you are not responsible for- and to specifically note that you are not responsible. Keep a copy of that inspection for reference when you move out.

Another option is to ask the landlord to do an inspection of the property and note existing damages that you are not responsible for- and to specifically note that you are not responsible. Keep a copy of that inspection for reference when you move out.

MM - Have you ever been a landlord? :)

Back