siging over custody to my sister

Status
Not open for further replies.

2under2

My sister is wanting to sign over custody of her 3 yrd old daughter to me and my husband. She was never married to the child's father and there has never been any court ordered custdoy granted (she has physical custody of the child). Does anyone know where she would start this process. I read on the internet (antoher law website) that she could just go to the courthouse and fill out transfer paperwork. Is this true? What does she have to do with regards to the father. We doubt he will dispute the issue but if he does will we have to prove him unfit (easy- due to MUCH documentation)? Also will the courts need to do a home study or anything like that. We are currently living in Germany (military family) will this become an issue for the transfer custody to us? Any help would be appericiated. We need to know where to start and if we can do this ourselves (money is a huge reason for giving her up). Thanks.

Well what you should do is file for temporary custody. Call your local family court and see if they have a family law facilitator. If she and the dad were never married and paternity was not established, he may not have rights to the child. If paternity was established, and he tries to claim her, you might have a battle on your hands. You really should book a consultation with a family law attorney, some are free or low cost just for advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back