Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Should I still pay restitution ?

Doublemom2

Jurisdiction
Connecticut
In 2011 I caught a charge at 20 years old that destroyed my life completely. I copped out to a Felony class D for larceny 3. The value was 6100.00 I am now paying restitution every month at court. I spoke to a few ppl who said they had a charge like mine and never paid anything back! Should I hire a better lawyer and give up on the restitution because it's not fair!

In 2011 I caught a charge at 20 years old that destroyed my life completely.

Caught a charge? You can catch a cold, but you cannot catch a criminal charge. What you really meant was that you committed a crime and, as a result of what you did, your life was negatively impacted. Right?

I spoke to a few ppl who said they had a charge like mine and never paid anything back!

And you believe them?

Should I hire a better lawyer and give up on the restitution

You're free to hire all the lawyers you want, as long as you can pay their fees. Stopping your court-ordered restitution payments, however, would probably be a really, really stupid thing to do, unless an attorney who has thoroughly reviewed your case expressly advises you to do so.

it's not fair!

Well...I'm sure the person from whom you admitted that you stolen something worth $6,100 would disagree with this. And yes, when you took the plea bargain, you admitted to the crime.

Caught a charge? You can catch a cold, but you cannot catch a criminal charge. What you really meant was that you committed a crime and, as a result of what you did, your life was negatively impacted. Right?

And you believe them?

Yes

You're free to hire all the lawyers you want, as long as you can pay their fees. Stopping your court-ordered restitution payments, however, would probably be a really, really stupid thing to do, unless an attorney who has thoroughly reviewed your case expressly advises you to do so.

I agree

Well...I'm sure the person from whom you admitted that you stolen something worth $6,100 would disagree with this. And yes, when you took the plea bargain, you admitted to the crime.
The bank made a mistake and put the money in my account ....but ok thank you

The bank made a mistake and put the money in my account ....but ok thank you

Had you immediately contacted the bank reported the $6100 discrepancy, inquired how it got deposited in your bank, refused to touch $1 of the money, you would never have been charged.

However, you didn't do that EXACTLY as I related it.

You somehow got charged, somehow you got convicted, and now must pay restitution.

You can't get charged twice for the same crime (double jeopardy is prohibited), neither can you get a new trial because you dislike the result of the first trial.

You did (maybe you do) have the right to appeal your verdict.

I suggest you discuss an appeal with your lawyer, or talk to a couple different lawyers about your appellate rights, if you still possess any.

Had you immediately contacted the bank reported the $6100 discrepancy, inquired how it got deposited in your bank, refused to touch $1 of the money, you would never have been charged.

However, you didn't do that EXACTLY as I related it.

You somehow got charged, somehow you got convicted, and now must pay restitution.

You can't get charged twice for the same crime (double jeopardy is prohibited), neither can you get a new trial because you dislike the result of the first trial.

You did (maybe you do) have the right to appeal your verdict.

I suggest you discuss an appeal with your lawyer, or talk to a couple different lawyers about your appellate rights, if you still possess any.

Thank you so much for this information. I will speak to a lawyer about this.

Thank you so much for this information. I will speak to a lawyer about this.

If the repayment monthly is too stiff on your income, a lawyer can seek a lower amount temporarily until your finances improve.

Sometimes your PO will help you work that out temporarily.

The key thing here is that you will always have to take the first step, communicate the problem, and people will try to help you, or point you to someone better equipped to help you.

If the repayment monthly is too stiff on your income, a lawyer can seek a lower amount temporarily until your finances improve.

Sometimes your PO will help you work that out temporarily.

The key thing here is that you will always have to take the first step, communicate the problem, and people will try to help you, or point you to someone better equipped to help you.
I agree because I have a low income and two children CT is not cheap so again thank you so much I'll speak to my attorney about everything I can do to make things better on my behalf. Do you think I can ever get this felony off my record?

Do you think I can ever get this felony off my record?

No (only if you get a pardon which won't be happening) - and just why should it be erased from your record? You stole money and don't even want to pay it back.

You can make up all the excuses you want to about a bank error. You were convicted of the Larceny and now you have to live with it.

No (only if you get a pardon which won't be happening) - and just why should it be erased from your record? You stole money and don't even want to pay it back.

You can make up all the excuses you want to about a bank error. You were convicted of the Larceny and now you have to live with it.

First off I can apply for a pardon and second of all I was in college at Harvard here in new haven CT..chase bank apparently made a glitch and yes what college student won't take the money out

Again yes I committed A crime my one and only crime I'm just looking for advice on how I can make things a little better I do not need any negative comments from you guys.

Do you think I can ever get this felony off my record?

You'll be told it can e done.

Some people even charge you to do it.

However, its all just words, smoke, and mirrors.

It is never erased.

It can be concealed, but the people with the right connections can easily see it, even if it is concealed.

Sadly that is the world in which we all live.

My advice to people everywhere, don't ever step outside of the box they've told you to get into.

Don't do stupid stuff.

No need to explain stupid stuff, because even if you've never seen raccoon poop, you'll immediately know when you see it.

Keep bettering yourself, word hard, get as much education as you can find, because you'll never learn enough, save as much as you can, don't look back, if you do, you'll stumble, just keep trudging along.

What college student wouldn't take the money out? Really?! I can think of any number of college students, past and present, who it would never occur to!

Most people have the good sense to know that if a bank error occurs you should let the bank know immediately. Why anyone would think otherwise is beyond me. And I don't care if they are a college student, a single mother just barely making ends meet, or whomever, if they are honest they will not touch even a penny of money that isn't theirs.

What college student wouldn't take the money out? Really?! I can think of any number of college students, past and present, who it would never occur to!

Most people have the good sense to know that if a bank error occurs you should let the bank know immediately. Why anyone would think otherwise is beyond me. And I don't care if they are a college student, a single mother just barely making ends meet, or whomever, if they are honest they will not touch even a penny of money that isn't theirs.
Well I did it's my mistake I'm paying for and I'll be paying it off by next week so I can continue to live my life . Stop acting like you all are perfect! Bc your not each one of you have a dark secret your still facing and it can't be destroyed. Just be happy I shared so you all can feel like your doing something right by commenting. I'm only single bc I lost my fiancé in combat and trust me I'm working every bit to make sure my children are fine and dandy. Before you try to read my life read yours bc I promise you you will never ever be Perfect

T
You'll be told it can e done.

Some people even charge you to do it.

However, its all just words, smoke, and mirrors.

It is never erased.

It can be concealed, but the people with the right connections can easily see it, even if it is concealed.

Sadly that is the world in which we all live.

My advice to people everywhere, don't ever step outside of the box they've told you to get into.

Don't do stupid stuff.

No need to explain stupid stuff, because even if you've never seen raccoon poop, you'll immediately know when you see it.

Keep bettering yourself, word hard, get as much education as you can find, because you'll never learn enough, save as much as you can, don't look back, if you do, you'll stumble, just keep trudging along.
I agree. Thank you again sir

Back