Should I represent myself? (3 weeks left)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaklong

I have had 3 accidents on public buses. I have 2 different attorneys handling the first two cases. One of them handled this 3rd case, but after a year, changed his mind. He said that the bus company told him they will not settle this 3rd case out of court. I called about 60 attorneys to see if they would take the case, but they wouldn't. They said this case is not lucrative enough for them, and also, they said it looks like I am lying about getting hurt because it happenned on 3 seperate occasions. I have over $5,000 in Chiropractor bills, and also ambulance bill, emergency room visit, etc. for this case. I have 3 weeks left to file the lawsuit. I was considering dropping the case, but the Chiropractor can ruin my credit for 7 years. I am currently homeless and unemployed, so I have no funds to pay for filing fees. I hope all the fees can be waived. I went to the bus company's legal dept with my attorney to settle the 1st case, , and he said the company would pay a total of $3,500 for the case (to be divided 3 ways-attorney, myself, and medical bills-which would have to be negotiated down pennies on the dollar). But later this attorney sent me a letter to sign stating I would get $5,000 for this case. The second case is supposed to pay $5,000, but my attorney hasn't sent me any paperwork yet. I am wondering if he is waiting to see if I file a lawsuit myself. He told he can't get in touch with the chiropractor, he appears to be out of business, but he would continue to look into it. He said I would get to keep more of the $5,000 if the chiropractor is out of business. I wonder if he is saying this to encourage me to drop this 3rd case. I thought I should file a lawsuit because if I get hurt on a bus in the future, I will want to be be compensated, and would get an attorney. Also, I feel I owe it to the chiropractor to file the lawsuit. I know nothing about representing yourself in court. Is it very hard? I have 3 weeks left to file a lawsuit. I tried to file it in small claims court, but the clerk said this kind of case has to be filed in regular court (even though I would have sued for less money since small claims court has a maximum amount limit). Any advice on whether I should do so would be appreciated.

Q: Should I represent myself?

A: No.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back