Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Should I call the court if I don't receive a summons for shoplifting?

madison756

I have been accused of petty larceny in Nevada. I am 20. No police were involved when I was detained. I signed a summons program form which said I would get a court arraignment within 30 days and a civil demand notice form. I paid the civil demand the retailer requested (after consulting with an experienced lawyer) and I received a call from a law office I visited who called the court to see if there was any information about me there. They said they didn't have any. The incident occurred almost 2 weeks ago and my summons is supposed to be here within a month. Wouldn't there be information about me in the court by now if they were going to press charges? If I don't get a summons, should I call the court or let it go?

I have been accused of petty larceny in Nevada. I am 20. No police were involved when I was detained. I signed a summons program form which said I would get a court arraignment within 30 days and a civil demand notice form. I paid the civil demand the retailer requested (after consulting with an experienced lawyer) and I received a call from a law office I visited who called the court to see if there was any information about me there. They said they didn't have any. The incident occurred over 2 weeks ago and my summons is supposed to be here within a month. Wouldn't there be information about me in the court by now if they were going to press charges? If I don't get a summons, should I call the court or count myself lucky?

Last edited by a moderator:
You'll be notified, if summoned to court, by a marshal or deputy sheriff.
The LEO could personally serve you.
You might be served by mail.
If you've moved, you might want to let the court know your address.
It sounds as if you were detained by a store guard, written up, and the store would then try to prosecute you.
You might want to have the law firm contact the prosecutor's office, odd they wouldn't know what to do.
Maybe you need a NEW law firm, OP?
You could, if you're a curious cat with NINE lives, ask the prosecutor's office yourself.

At this point you have done all you could. Contact court again next week and week after until month expires. Get names or people you talk to. If the court has a website you can access info check there as well

The matter may not ever be handled in court. Low level offenses like this are often reduced to infractions and handled elsewhere. It is also possible that after you paid the demand the prosecutor opted to not waste time filing charges.
You don't have to contact anyone. If they decide they want you they know how to find you.

I have been accused of petty larceny in Nevada. I am 20. No police were involved when I was detained. I signed a summons program form which said I would get a court arraignment within 30 days and a civil demand notice form. I paid the civil demand the retailer requested (after consulting with an experienced lawyer) and I received a call from a law office I visited who called the court to see if there was any information about me there. They said they didn't have any. The incident occurred over 2 weeks ago and my summons is supposed to be here within a month. Wouldn't there be information about me in the court by now if they were going to press charges? If I don't get a summons, should I call the court or count myself lucky?

Please don't post your question more tan once.
This will be your only warning before punitive actions are taken. Tank you.

Back