Negligence, Other Injury Shot by a trespasser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jmrstn1003

I was on my way to hunt family property and I noticed a vehicle parked on the logging rd in route to where I was going to hunt. I called the landowner and they had no idea who it could be. I continued on and got shot by the trespasser. I am aware of virginas contributory negligence laws and am wondering if this worth taking to trial to recover damages.

Did you report the shooting to the sheriff or local police?

My brother was with me and in his shock/state of mind after shooting he stated in police report that we intentionally went out to get the trespasser off of the property. The trespasser was a distant cousin who believed he had permission from my grandfather to hunt property but my grandfather had passed away a year prior to the accident.

I suggest you let it go.
You could be rotting with worms today, or a quadriplegic.

You're recovering, and things are back to normal, thank goodness.
Besides, dude is in county, no job, no money.
You'd likely lose anyway, because others told different tales.
Time to move on, get smart, don't play cop, just beJoe Citizen, be happy you're alive to tell the tale.

Because he appealed he is not in jail yet. He has an insurance policy 300k and is not a broke redneck. My concern is the jury will find me contributory negligent and it will be for nothing. I am thankful everyday aim not blind but I still have 25 pellets lodged in my head neck and upper torso. My medical bills were over 100k. I have lawyers anxious to try this case however I am just not sure it's worth it.

Because he appealed he is not in jail yet. He has an insurance policy 300k and is not a broke redneck. My concern is the jury will find me contributory negligent and it will be for nothing. I am thankful everyday aim not blind but I still have 25 pellets lodged in my head neck and upper torso. My medical bills were over 100k. I have lawyers anxious to try this case however I am just not sure it's worth it.

You also have a very unreliable witness who blabbed things detrimental to your interests.

Whatever you do is up to you.

It affects no one but you and your family or loved ones.

If you already have lawyers interested in the case, and who already know the details, you should rely on them for advice for how to proceed.

I have been speaking with them and asking for advice but I do not wish to hire one and then wish I hadn't. I am looking for input from others that would see the case similar to a juror and not a business opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back