shorted paychecks

Status
Not open for further replies.

expate123

I do contract work for american defense companies in the middle east I was contacted for a contract in kuwait. I was offered x amount and would be paid for a 12 hour day and a 7 day week, I aggreed to the biweekly amount. Upon flying to germany for processing I was told that I would not be paid that amount till we got to kuwait(I spent 4 weeks in germany waiting for the company to process us). Then when we got to Kuwait we were told we would only be paid 8 hours a day 5days a week till we got on base(we waited for a week in a hotel for base passes). We worked for 2 weeks then had a period waiting for work to arrive(another 3 weeks).
in all I lost over $10,000 in salery that Was promised verbaly and via a e-mail offer letter.
Whats the best way to recover the promised wages. The company I contracted to had a few other problems on site. working in a foriegn country on tourist visa, not reporting accidents, ect...

You would have to sue the company for breach of contract using the letters and emails. Could be costly though due to the amount, it could not be done in small claims. And you may have to sue company in the state where the main office is located. Get a consultation from a lawyer on contract law and see if you have a case and can afford to pursue it. You may be able to file a complaint with the Dept. of Labor..check their website and FAQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back