Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft shoplifting

aquagem26

Jurisdiction
Maryland
I was caught shoplifting at a grocery store and the amount of $125.00 in food. I never ever done anything like this before in my life. All my information was taken and the police were called. I wasn't arrested but they also took my info. The security at the store said I would get a subpoena to appear in court. This was a stupid thing to do. I am 61 with left sided weakness from a stroke and a broken back with rods. Why did I do this I keep on asking myself. What can happen to me? I am scared shitless. I wasn't brought up this way and feel so bad about it. Live in Harford county, Bel Air, Maryland 21015. What will happen and what can I do?.
Scared.

Expect to pay fines.
The police will route their report through the courts. You will most likely qualify for diversion programs for first time offenders, and I also suspect your fine would be relatively low.
However the store will also be sending you a letter wanting more money. It is not a fine and not a bill. In fact, you have no legal obligation at all to pay it. If you should receive one of these letters from the store or its attorney/collection agency, take it to a local attorney you trust for advice how to proceed.
The only things you are legally required to do are the things the court might order. Anything else you can disregard.

Expect to pay fines.
The police will route their report through the courts. You will most likely qualify for diversion programs for first time offenders, and I also suspect your fine would be relatively low.
However the store will also be sending you a letter wanting more money. It is not a fine and not a bill. In fact, you have no legal obligation at all to pay it. If you should receive one of these letters from the store or its attorney/collection agency, take it to a local attorney you trust for advice how to proceed.
The only things you are legally required to do are the things the court might order. Anything else you can disregard.
Thank you so much for your reply. You think I should get a public defender to be there with me. I can't afford a real attorney. My never are shot.

Thank you so much for your reply. You think I should get a public defender to be there with me. I can't afford a real attorney. My never are shot.

Yes, ask for a public defender, the judge will decide if you get one.
It wouldn't hurt to ask.
You made a silly decision, acted on an impulse, and diversion is in your future.
Due to your age and health issues, you probably won't get community service.
However, you'll probably be ordered to attend some sort of class.
Don't react negatively towards the class, use it as an opportunity to learn and grow.

You might even get more lucky, because the judge can order and suspend any fines, if you complete a three or six month probationary period without any missteps.

Good luck to you, please let us know how well this turns out for you, mate.

Yes, ask for a public defender, the judge will decide if you get one.
It wouldn't hurt to ask.
You made a silly decision, acted on an impulse, and diversion is in your future.
Due to your age and health issues, you probably won't get community service.
However, you'll probably be ordered to attend some sort of class.
Don't react negatively towards the class, use it as an opportunity to learn and grow.

You might even get more lucky, because the judge can order and suspend any fines, if you complete a three or six month probationary period without any missteps.

Good luck to you, please let us know how well this turns out for you, mate.
Thank you army judge. I will definitely keep you posted. Should I get a public defender before they subpoena me? Or wait till I go to court. I don't know what to do. Nothing like this ever happened to me.

Public defenders are real attorneys. Yes, absolutely, when you appear in court plead not guilty and request appointed counsel.

Back