Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Shoplifting

Kara

Jurisdiction
Maryland
I am 18 years old and long story short I accidently took something from Nordstroms Rack. It was worth 16 dollars and as I walked out of the store two loss prevention guys came up from behind me and grabbed both my arms. They didn't tell me who they were and they forcefully took me back into the store and into a small room where they asked me about what I stole. I told them it was an accident and I meant to pay for it and that I could right now. They checked my purse for other items and I didn't have any so they made me sign a paper saying I could not go back in the store for 2 years and that I will be contacted in a few days and may have to pay a fine. I was so confused and nervous that as soon as they let me out I left. They never called the police and the police were not involved at all. My question is, were the two men allowed to just grab me like that against my will and not even tell me what was going on? Also, what is the chance that they will fine me and how much could it be? Will I have to pay the fine? Also, will this go on some sort of criminal record forver because I know it sounds silly but I honestly did not purposely steal anything. I have never shoplifted or done anything criminal before so I have no record.

Your answers are written below, or in the links provided.
Educate yourself about stealing and penalties attached thereto!!!!

Maryland shoplifting law under $100
Maryland law groups shoplifting under the general category of theft.

Maryland Criminal Code § 7-104 criminalizes both the taking of property and the concealing of property in a manner that would deprive the owner of the property's use or value.

Shoplifters face jail time and fines which progressively increase with the value of the stolen goods.

In addition to criminal penalties, shoplifters are civilly liable to victimized merchants. Criminal and civil penalties are described below.
Maryland Shoplifting Criminal Penalties
Theft of property valued at less than $100 Misdemeanor under §7–104(g)(3) Jail time up to 90 days; a fine up to $500; a requirement to provide the property or its value to the owner.
Shoplifting Laws by State -
False Arrest, Shoplifting, security consultant, Chris McGoey, shoplifting, false arrest, security expert

I am a Retail Theft Consultant and answer questions like yours daily. To address your concerns.

My question is, were the two men allowed to just grab me like that against my will and not even tell me what was going on?( This question has two answers yes and no. Legally they may use reasonable force but their employer the store you should not have named may have a rule that forbids this action. However it wont change fact you stole.) Also, what is the chance that they will fine me and how much could it be?(99.9% its called Civil Demand and it can be anywhere from $50.00 to $1000.00 depending on locals laws and circumstances of theft) Will I have to pay the fine? ( Again two answers but I advise most clients to pay. See links below for better info) Also, will this go on some sort of criminal record forver because I know it sounds silly but I honestly did not purposely steal anything. I have never shoplifted or done anything criminal before so I have no record.(Without Police or court there will be no criminal record however the store may subscribe to a retail theft database and if so this could impact you if you work or seek work in retail.

A recent writing of mine - Parent Nook Forums

Civil Recovery

Back