Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft "Shoplifting"

K

kjkj

Jurisdiction
Virginia
My question involves criminal law for the state of: Virginia

I am 19 and just got accused of shop lifting. I was trying on compression tights and forgot I had a pair still on. (I train in them every day) I bought 6 different items, two were the exact same compression tights I had on. I was stopped and asked to come back in a room. I told her it was an accident and she said I understand, I'm not pressing charges. She took a picture/ information and made me sign that I wouldn't come back to __ but told me I could write ___ and get my privilege back. She said I would get a fine of the amount of the tights. ($30) today I just got a civil demand letter of $225 as well as talking about possible prosecution. By not paying this, will I get charged and therefor the crime be placed on my record? What are the steps that are taken before this would be put on my record?

I am 19 and just got accused of shop lifting. I was trying on compression tights and forgot I had a pair still on. (I train in them every day) I bought 6 different items, two were the exact same compression tights I had on. I was stopped and asked to come back in a room. I told her it was an accident and she said I understand, I'm not pressing charges. She took a picture/ information and made me sign that I wouldn't come back to __ but told me I could write ___ and get my privilege back. She said I would get a fine of the amount of the tights. ($30) today I just got a civil demand letter of $225 as well as talking about possible prosecution. By not paying this, will I get charged and therefor the crime be placed on my record? What are the steps that are taken before this would be put on my record?

If you refuse to pay, the store 's bag man will hound you relentlessly.
Criminal charges are rarely pressed after the fact.
It's your call about paying the demand for tribute.

Whatever you do, be smartER and stay the heck outta the s ene of the alleged crime for at least five years.

By the way, the I forgot to take it off defense never works.
If this ever happens again, use your right to remain silent.
Better yet, don't steal, stop trying on clothes, stay out of dressing rooms.

The eyes in the sky, the super spies, always watch the dressing rooms.

People say they watch the toilets. Can't say they do. Can't say they don't. But, I sometimes hear heavy breathing. LOL

If you pay the civil demand, you "most likely" will not have criminal charges pressed against you though they still could. (They are 2 separate things.) If you don't pay the civil demand, the chances of being charged with theft "generally" increase.

They might still report you to a retail theft data base if they are a member.

Back