Shoplifting

Meghan

Jurisdiction
Massachusetts
Today, I was caught in a store at a mall stealing an item only $7.99. I am 19 and they called mall security and made me give them my information and banned me from the mall for 6 months. They gave me a form describing my "civil theft" and told me I will get a fine sent to me in the mail that I will have to pay. I tried researching online and a lot of people said to ignore the fine because they usually won't pursue it... What should I do? And will this show up on my criminal record?

Since no police were called, it shouldn't show up on your "criminal record". However; if the store is a member of a retail theft database, it could have been reported to the database & show up there. Other member companies can check this database.

Today, I was caught in a store at a mall stealing an item only $7.99. I am 19 and they called mall security and made me give them my information and banned me from the mall for 6 months. They gave me a form describing my "civil theft" and told me I will get a fine sent to me in the mail that I will have to pay. I tried researching online and a lot of people said to ignore the fine because they usually won't pursue it... What should I do? And will this show up on my criminal record?

You may receive what is called a "civil demand".
It is simply a demand from the merchant's agent for you to pay XXX dollars.
It isn't a fine, as only a court can assess you a fine after you plead guilty or adjudged to be guilty.
It is a civil demand.
Should you pay?
That is YOUR call.
As you've seen, some pay, some don't.
I would simply advise you NEVER to steal anything, or break any of their laws.

Back