Shoplifting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smartbutnot

I was caught shoplifting in a department store, however I had my reasons. I had shopped at the store earlier that day and purchased a total of $550 worth. I got home, and fell asleep, woke up excited to look at everything only to notice that 4 items were missing. I was quite upset and returned to the store where the associate said that she saw 2 of the 4 items on the counter which the lady who rung me out were just to return to shelf. However, the lady who rung me out did not provide me a receipt and the lady said I could not have any of the items without a receipt of my purchase. Frustrated I left the store and went into another department store to get my mind off of it. I then saw the same store inside a department store and decided that it just wasn't fair, went into the smaller version of the same store, took the 4 items which I had paid for with my money, and when walking out loss prevention lady walked me into the back room, treated me rudely, called the police, I was arrested. I only took what I purchased. I have never ever gotten in trouble with the law before. Not even so much as a speeding ticket. I am 21. A college student, and I tutor. What should I do? I have no evidence of the fact that I had purchased the items because the lady who rung me out did not give me a receipt. The Items totaled around $150, however I carry makeup around in my purse, and brushes too and the loss prevention lady presumed I stole those too when I firmly said that they were mine. So she counted it to be $235. I am really fruterated with the whole ordeal. I was never read my Miranda rights.

Stupid mistake but not really

I was caught shoplifting in a department store, however I had my reasons. I had shopped at the store earlier that day and purchased a total of $550 worth. I got home, and fell asleep, woke up excited to look at everything only to notice that 4 items were missing. I was quite upset and returned to the store where the associate said that she saw 2 of the 4 items on the counter which the lady who rung me out were just to return to shelf. However, the lady who rung me out did not provide me a receipt and the lady said I could not have any of the items without a receipt of my purchase. Frustrated I left the store and went into another department store to get my mind off of it. I then saw the same store inside a department store and decided that it just wasn't fair, went into the smaller version of the same store, took the 4 items which I had paid for with my money, and when walking out loss prevention lady walked me into the back room, treated me rudely, called the police, I was arrested. I only took what I purchased. I have never ever gotten in trouble with the law before. Not even so much as a speeding ticket. I am 21. A college student, and I tutor. What should I do? I have no evidence of the fact that I had purchased the items because the lady who rung me out did not give me a receipt. The Items totaled around $150, however I carry makeup around in my purse, and brushes too and the loss prevention lady presumed I stole those too when I firmly said that they were mine. So she counted it to be $235. I am really fruterated with the whole ordeal. I was never read my Miranda rights.

There are no reasons whatsoever that are acceptable for shoplifting.

You haven't asked a question, so that's really all I can tell you.

I work as a retail theft consultant and talk to people like you daily. There is no justification for theft and yes this was theft. You had other options you could have used to resolve your issue. That's water over the dam now as you have been charged with theft. Talk to a local Attorney to discuss the best way to deal with this. Be sure to ask about ACD or Diversion as plea options

Miranda wont really apply here and it also depend son who questioned you and at what point. See my other answer to this same question you posted elsewhere here for more detail

Yes, if things happened as you dictated, that was a very big mistake.
Your best bet now is to plead not guilty, admit to nothing, offer no more explanations, and ask the court if you qualify for a public defender.
If not, hire yourself a lawyer, and lawyer or public defender; work with him or her to obtain the best possible outcome for YOU.
Telling that story will only ensure the judge or jury says, GUILTY!!!!

Yes, that is shoplifting/theft. You said you were arrested - you need a lawyer or a public defender if you cannot afford a lawyer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back