Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Shoplifting misdemeanor charges -- help

Status
Not open for further replies.

elipt

A friend and I recently received two misdemeanor charges in Minnesota, one for shoplifting (about $60) and another for possession of alcohol (I am a minor), both in the same incident. These are not petty misdemeanors. This is my first offense. While being detained at the store, we both admitted our guilt, and signed some sort of statement saying so, as well as saying this verbally to the cop's recorder.

What are my options now? On my court date, should I plead guilty? I initially thought that pleading guilty would be a good idea, but after reading several threads in this forum, it seems that that may not be the case. I want to make a settlement if possible, right? Does that mean I shouldn't plead guilty, even though I admitted guilt earlier?

Basically, I don't want this on my record, no matter how great the fines may be -- is this possible (I was told by the cop that I may be able get something called a "continuance of dismissal" or "diversion")? If not, can I clear my record in some way?

Thanks for any help.

since the charges can really mess up your future (employers don't like to employ people with theft offenses on their records) you should consult a criminal defense attorney and work with him to get the best possible disposition of the case. That might be a guilty plea, or might not, Let your attorney deal with the prosecutor and find the best deal.

So I should get a lawyer instead of just the public defender?

Since I already have two decent jobs, I'm more worried about this affecting my college financial aid and possibilities for an apartment. Assuming the worst, how many years does a misdemeanor stay on my record?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back