Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Shoplifting, 26 years old, under $25

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. Before the judge even came in, the clerk in front of the courtroom said that if any of us were pleading not guilty, we needed to go back to the window where we signed in and tell the lady there that we were pleading not guilty so she could set up a date with the city attorney. I asked if that meant that I still needed to see the judge and she said no, that I couldn't speak to him about my case at all. So that's what I did.

Ok this is where I am confused. That is all well and good except you were never given a chance to ask for public Defender. Do as I instructed consult with some local Attorneys so you know what is your best option

Do most attorneys handle misdemeanors or should I find someone who lists that in their specialties? I'm confused about it, too. It didn't go the way I expected at all. It was odd.

If you are still unable to find information on how to apply for a public defender, perhaps you would consider posting your state and county - maybe someone here can find out that information for you.

- Carl

Just spoke to an attorney who handles misdemeanors. He said I wasn't offered a pd because my charge involves no jail time. He said it would be far more expensive to hire a lawyer than to just pay the fines. He said, at most, I'll pay fines and court costs because it's basically the same thing as a traffic violation. He said to speak to the da about deferred adjudication and that I'd be perfectly fine going without legal representation because this meeting was only a negotiation and they weren't allowed to use anything against me during negotiations. Does any of this sound right?

I'm in Angelina county, Texas.

Ask the DA for Diversion (what Lawyer told you about) in exchange for no contest plea. This program should keep a conviction off your record long as you meet requirement of program. Basically pay fines stay clean for period of time etc

dashbored00 said:
Just spoke to an attorney who handles misdemeanors. He said I wasn't offered a pd because my charge involves no jail time. He said it would be far more expensive to hire a lawyer than to just pay the fines. He said, at most, I'll pay fines and court costs because it's basically the same thing as a traffic violation. He said to speak to the da about deferred adjudication and that I'd be perfectly fine going without legal representation because this meeting was only a negotiation and they weren't allowed to use anything against me during negotiations. Does any of this sound right?

I'm in Angelina county, Texas.
Okay, that all makes sense. In other words, it is about as serious as a traffic offense, it seems.

I'd go with the deferred adjudication ... and, consider never stealing anything ever again.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back