Shoplifting $175 I'm 16 years old

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celia

I'm 16 years old. I was caught shoplifting at Kmart today, merchandise of around 175 dollars of value, police was involved.
The police took down info, took my fingerprints, picture. I was told to go to the court in 2 months.
1. This is not my first time shoplifting at that store, but first time getting caught, I actually went in the same store to shoplift yesterday, so should I say the truth in court? Wold that make the situAtion worse? If I lie, about it, would the store provide CCTV of me shoplifting?
2. If I can't afford a lawyer, one will me appointed for me at court?
3. How much is the fine likely to be? And civil demand? Basically how much money should I expect to pay?
Thanks in advance!

I'm 16 years old. I was caught shoplifting at Kmart today, merchandise of around 175 dollars of value, police was involved.
The police took down info, took my fingerprints, picture. I was told to go to the court in 2 months.
1. This is not my first time shoplifting at that store, but first time getting caught, I actually went in the same store to shoplift yesterday, so should I say the truth in court? Wold that make the situAtion worse? If I lie, about it, would the store provide CCTV of me shoplifting?
2. If I can't afford a lawyer, one will me appointed for me at court?
3. How much is the fine likely to be? And civil demand? Basically how much money should I expect to pay?
Thanks in advance!

Before you do anything, I suggest you speak with your parents or guardians.

You are a minor.

If things are as you say, and you were FINGERPRINTED, your rights may have been violated.

In California, a minor (YOU) can only be fingerprinted pursuant to a felony arrest or detention.

(Fingerprinting and photographing of a juvenile who is taken into temporary custody for the commission of a felony offense is expressly authorized pursuant to Welfare and Institutions Code Section 626.)

I suggest you say NOTHING further on this subject, until you have advised your parents.

They are authorized by law to direct your actions.

You are a legal incompetent.

When you appear in court, plead NOT guilty, and ask for a lawyer.
Actually, your parents will do that for you.
Finally, if you have half a brain, stay the heck out of all stores.
Why?
The next time, you may not be allowed to go home.
You are developing a pattern that can cause you great trouble.

1. This is not my first time shoplifting at that store, but first time getting caught, I actually went in the same store to shoplift yesterday, so should I say the truth in court? Wold that make the situAtion worse? If I lie, about it, would the store provide CCTV of me shoplifting? (Unless your charged with multiple tyhefts keep your mouth shut)
2. If I can't afford a lawyer, one will me appointed for me at court? (Even if yoou cannot afford an Attorney you may request one. In addition many Lawyers offer free consultations I suggest you get as many as you can. Arm yourself with knowledge)
Thanks in advance! (Your criminal fine will probably be less than $500.00 you may be asked to take classes that too will have a cost. Your civil fine could be as much as $500.00 or more depending on how CA civil demand law reads

I already advised my parents.
So if they already took my fingerprint, does that mean it was felony?

1. This is not my first time shoplifting at that store, but first time getting caught, I actually went in the same store to shoplift yesterday, so should I say the truth in court? Wold that make the situAtion worse? If I lie, about it, would the store provide CCTV of me shoplifting? (Unless your charged with multiple tyhefts keep your mouth shut)
2. If I can't afford a lawyer, one will me appointed for me at court? (Even if yoou cannot afford an Attorney you may request one. In addition many Lawyers offer free consultations I suggest you get as many as you can. Arm yourself with knowledge)
Thanks in advance! (Your criminal fine will probably be less than $500.00 you may be asked to take classes that too will have a cost. Your civil fine could be as much as $500.00 or more depending on how CA civil demand law reads

So I may request an attorney at court? I should wait until court? Or should I start looking for attorneys now?

Forgot to mention, and I think it's critical to my case---- I'm not a us citizen, I've had my green card for approximately a year now. What could this do to my immigration status? Will I be deported? Will I be denied citizenship later on?

Had I been the officer that came to the store and I knew everything you say here, I would likely have arrested you for felony burglary.
You need to stop talking about this. You do not need a lawyer- your parents do. You will likely make things worse if you try to handle this on your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back