Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Shoplifted and caught but paid for items and civil demand at the store

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDK213

If someone gets caught shoplifting grocery items from a grocery store with a total cost 15$ and some change. But ends up paying for the civil demand on the spot at the store for 150$ (Instead of sending it in the mail) plus still purchased the items that were shoplifted. Cops were called and ran background check. No record. Do you think the store would still pursue charges even though, they lost nothing and gained extra?

If someone gets caught shoplifting grocery items from a grocery store with a total cost 15$ and some change. But ends up paying for the civil demand on the spot at the store for 150$ (Instead of sending it in the mail) plus still purchased the items that were shoplifted. Cops were called and ran background check. No record. Do you think the store would still pursue charges even though, they lost nothing and gained extra?

Generally speaking, the answer is no.
I've never heard of a merchant that allows you to conveniently pay the civil demand right there on the spot, either.
But, hey, what do I know?? LOL

Your wrong some stores do collect Civil Demand on the spot but the accused can opt to get a letter. Macy's is one such store that does this. The ones that do, do so for very good reasons. The ratio of pay or don't pay is higher (on paying side) than sending letters. In addition they don't have to pay recovery service and can keep entire sum

Did you pay civil demand and pay for items or just civil demand? Your answer is important to my reply

The items and the civil demand was paid right on the spot. With a money order right from the grocery stores customer service desk. The money order was given to the LP.

Ok let me explain better. Was what you paid earmarked for each example $150.00 civil Demand $2.32 for items? I need to be clear on this before I answer

So what does this mean? Would they still pursue charges? Even though they didn't lose a penny because the items were paid for (so technically the items were not stolen in the end) and the civil demand was paid on the spot with a money order straight from the stores customer service desk. Money was given to the LP after it was signed. Is it possible the LP just pocketed the money order for himself? Instead of following through with prosecution? It just seems fishy.

No. The cost of the items were 15$ and some change. And the civil demand was 150$ so total it was 165$ and change. The civil demand was paid with a money bought right the store. Everything was paid for at the customers service desk, items and civil demand.

That's why I am asking you what I am! Did you just pay one lump sum or did you pay civil demand and paid for items?

No, they will not pursue anything further over such a petty amount. Having paid the fee may actually prohibit them from taking further action.

No, they will not pursue anything further over such a petty amount. Having paid the fee may actually prohibit them from taking further action.

You CAN'T know this without knowing if items were actually paid for or if OP is assuming the civil demand was paying for items

One lump sum at the cash register. They rung the items up and everything and I have a receipt with the items on it and the money for the civil demand.

A money order was bought along with items being rung up at the cash register. A receipt was given with the items that were paid for and the 150$ money order. Technically the items weren't stolen

A money order was bought along with items being rung up at the cash register. A receipt was given with the items that were paid for and the 150$ money order. Technically the items weren't stolen

That is what I wanted to know! If items were paid for they cannot file charges!

Your wrong some stores do collect Civil Demand on the spot but the accused can opt to get a letter. Macy's is one such store that does this. The ones that do, do so for very good reasons. The ratio of pay or don't pay is higher (on paying side) than sending letters. In addition they don't have to pay recovery service and can keep entire sum

Sorry, I'm not wrong. I've never heard of this practice. I'm sure the OP paid something to someone. But, hey, I'm just another dummy in the Internet, who don't know NUTTIN, 'BOUT NUTTIN!

You CAN'T know this without knowing if items were actually paid for or if OP is assuming the civil demand was paying for items

Yes I can know it. It is common sense.
It is not cost effective to pursue anything further.

OP VERY clearly said the items were paid for, but that is a moot issue. Payment of the civil demand most likely prevents any further criminal action anyway.

I don't see why they would or how they could file charges if you paid for the items & also the civil demand.

Payment of a civil demand does not prevent prosecution, assuming PA has no law that says otherwise.

Now, if the OP paid for the items as part of the arrangement and NOT as part of the civil demand, then the issue has been settled civilly and they cannot then claim that the items purchased by the OP are also stolen.

Many a theft or embezzlement case has gone down the toilet when it comes out that the business accepted partial payment of compensation or even negotiated a settlement. Once the OP paid for the items no theft charges could be pursued because no theft occurred.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back