Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Shoplifted 1 yr ago will i be charged

• Thread Starter still freaking out!!
  • Start date
S

still freaking out!!

Jurisdiction
Massachusetts
Hello, I was caught at a big department store shoplifting back in early December 2015. It is now December 2016 and I still live in fear that I will open my mailbox and find a summons one day. I believe the amount I took was roughly in the ballpark of $100 worth, more or less. The lp took me back, took my picture, my ID and SSN and had me sign things saying I wont return to the store. They collected the merch still in perfect condition, totally able to sell. She had me go and said no cops were called because I cooperated. She was very nice to me, even talking with me and the other employee in the room about everyday things, being very light hearted it seemed.she asked me about school and such. I drove away and called the lp officer a little while later because I could finally think of some questions. she said if I paid the civil demand, that would be the end of it. I paid it off in $25 payments ($250 total) and just finished in October (broke college student). However, The address I received the civil demand letters at is no longer my residence. I did give her my permanent address (my moms home) to the side, just because she knew that the main one I wrote down was my temporary college apartment address. I moved out in may, however my roommate was able to collected mail till august. The only thing theft-related was one civil demand reminder in July because I was like 5 days late on a payment. Just recently I applied for the rest of my mail to be sent to my current address. Please tell me:

What is the likelyhood that they sent a summons that maybe i never saw?
What is the likelyhood that now, a year later, they would send one? (I live in MA where the statute of limitations on misdm. is 6 yrs)
Do you think I should be living in fear?
Will they come after me now that the civil demand has been paid in full and theyve collected from me along with the admission?

HELP!!!!!!
(I am 20 yrs old, female college student, from MA)

I am a Retail Theft Consultant and answer questions like yours daily. If you paid civil Demand its likely this is over!

Do you think? I live in fear every day. I had done the same studpid mistake at that store times before, so I have read that sometimes stores go back to old evidence to build a bigger case

Do you think? I live in fear every day. I had done the same studpid mistake at that store times before, so I have read that sometimes stores go back to old evidence to build a bigger case

Are you "still freaking out" (aka the OP) or just pretending to be?

Are you "still freaking out" (aka the OP) or just pretending to be?

im sorry i dont follow. Basically what im trying to tell you is that I'm just always worried that Ill come home to a summons or maybe I missed the summons when i moved so now i have a warrant. not sure what the OP means im sorry

The statute of limitations has likely expired on the one year old theft and you paid Civil Demand. No one here (or anywhere) can say with 100% certainty this is over but I can say I am 90% certain this is over so relax

im sorry i dont follow. Basically what im trying to tell you is that I'm just always worried that Ill come home to a summons or maybe I missed the summons when i moved so now i have a warrant. not sure what the OP means im sorry

Keep worrying. Maybe it'll keep you from doing it again.

Keep worrying. Maybe it'll keep you from doing it again.

I know i'll never do it again, I was going through a very hard time in my life and made some reckless decisions. It was incredibly stupid of me. I am not that type of person. I am a hard worker, a college student and have big plans for the future. I couldve thrown it all away. I have since gotten better and am in a better mental state. I would never even think of doing that again. I am sincerely asking whether or not you believe a legal matter will present itself to me now because of my careless mistake. Please give me your true opinion.

The statute of limitations has likely expired on the one year old theft and you paid Civil Demand. No one here (or anywhere) can say with 100% certainty this is over but I can say I am 90% certain this is over so relax

I read the statute of limitations on misdemeanors in MA is 6 years. As this was my first offense and it was a low amount and they never called the police/ i never had any police interaction, does this still follow? I'm lost, i know there are so many different laws regarding specific things and whatnot, i dont even know hhah please help!

Read again
I'm sorry can you help me with that? is it one year that they would have had to get the police involved, even in MA where the statute is 6 yrs? I'm just so confused. Also, It makes me think that since I moved 5 months later, maybe i never saw a summons in the mail, or my roommates lost it in the following months, and now there could be a warrant out. SO SCARED

You are not the one who posted the original issue. Are you him or are you just faking it? You have a different user name.

yeah I originally posted without having signed up officially, but then I realized in order to reply i needed an account. so I signed up and made this. Also I'm a her not a him sorry

yeah I originally posted without having signed up officially, but then I realized in order to reply i needed an account. so I signed up and made this. Also I'm a her not a him sorry

Go forth and sin no more, my child, you were given a break, enjoy it, and obey all of their laws.

Merry Christmas.

I know i'll never do it again, I was going through a very hard time in my life and made some reckless decisions. It was incredibly stupid of me. I am not that type of person. I am a hard worker, a college student and have big plans for the future. I couldve thrown it all away. I have since gotten better and am in a better mental state. I would never even think of doing that again. I am sincerely asking whether or not you believe a legal matter will present itself to me now because of my careless mistake. Please give me your true opinion.

You have been given true opinions. No one can know for sure but it's probably unlikely.

Everyone who posts on here says they are "hard working" and have "big plans for the future" and "it was just one stupid mistake."

You have been given true opinions. No one can know for sure but it's probably unlikely.

Everyone who posts on here says they are "hard working" and have "big plans for the future" and "it was just one stupid mistake."

I understand, but people do make mistakes. I am not the same person I was when I did that. I was in a bad spot in my mind. I lost my father two years earlier and still had never coped correctly. I didnt feel like my college major was for me so i became lost as to what i wanted to do with my life anyway. I also had a bad influence of a roommate who talked me into things like this. It is no ones fault but my own because I made the decision, but that one blemish in m ylife does not define me.

I understand, but people do make mistakes. I am not the same person I was when I did that. I was in a bad spot in my mind. I lost my father two years earlier and still had never coped correctly. I didnt feel like my college major was for me so i became lost as to what i wanted to do with my life anyway. I also had a bad influence of a roommate who talked me into things like this. It is no ones fault but my own because I made the decision, but that one blemish in m ylife does not define me.

Stay focused, keep that attitude, and you'll get along well.

Like I said that's the common response on here. Hopefully you don't do it ever again.

so you think nothing will happen with this? is it likely theres some kind of warrant out for ne?
Some counties list active warrants. If you're that concerned you can look online in the county it happened to see if you have a warrant or call the courthouse. I wouldn't go in person if I were you just in case you do have one...they'll arrest you right there if you have a warrant.

Back