Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Shop lifting at Walmart

Tpatzo2015

Jurisdiction
Arizona
My bf was caught at Walmart shop lifting it was about $50 of food & shoes. The dumb ass ran from the store security but the cops did find him. He didn't run from them thank goodness. He's 38.

This is his first charge in Arizona ever. He was nailed with a mistermeanor 1. He went to court pled guilty to the mistermeanor 1 charge. (obviously he's not going to fight it he ran from store security)

The judge that seen him the first time didn't give him a court date. It states on the court papers time served. But it states a court date on his paper work.

I went online checked the phx public records & it shows this. PLEA GUILTY/RESP SENT IMPOSED. Does this mean they closed the case? Or does that mean he just pled guilty & he still has gotta go to court on the 26th of Feb. It states on his paper work he dont have any restitution or fines to pay.

Hi There: Hmmm,that does sound a bit confusing.If when,he went to court,and plead guilty,the judge,pronounced his sentence as "time served," that is the disposition of the case.You didn't specifically mention though,what,if anything that the Judge told him,only what you saw on court papers,and then a court date for Feb,26th,hence,the confusing part.
I would think,the case to be closed,but just to be on the safe side,your friend should appear on the specified court date,or the Judge,will issue a 'bench warrant," for failure to appear,and he will be arrested.Did your friend happen to mention,exactly what the judge told him,if not,ask him,and let us know.

I am a Retail theft consultant and answer questions like yours daily. Time served probably means what little time he spent in jail is all. He now has whatever other parts of sentence to deal with like Community service, fines, classes and, probation. Now he as other concerns as well. He likely now has a criminal record had he pled not guilty and got a lawyer he could have avoided that. He should also get a "Civil" fine from Store (you should not have named) Law firm anywhere from $50.00 to $1000.00 I suggest he pay this (see links and video below) He might also be put in a Retail theft database which will only be a problem if he works or plans to work retail although with his new criminal background this might not matter.

Civil Recovery

Why don't you let your adult boyfriend deal with his own legal issues? I'm sure he is fully capable of either calling or visiting the court clerk's office for clarification.

Time served probably means what little time he spent in jail is all. He now has whatever other parts of sentence to deal with like Community service, fines, classes and, probation. Now he as other concerns as well.
You should carefully take time,and read the OP's post,before responding with something that most likely turn out to be inaccurate.
The OP,clearly stated,their are no restitution,probation,or fines,on the court papers given to her friend,and as far as the civil demand,which her friend may receive,he is under no legal obligation to pay anything the store may demand,and should do nothing but make a piece of toilet paper on his next trip to the bathroom(that would be #2)
Misdemeanor charges are typically disposed of at one court hearing,when a plea of guilty is entered,and it would be very rare for sentencing to be set at another separate hearing in these kind of cases.

Their was no restitution or fines. I'm unsure if he has to go to the next court date. It's on his paperwork the court date is. Yes he plead straight out guilty.

Hi There: Hmmm,that does sound a bit confusing.If when,he went to court,and plead guilty,the judge,pronounced his sentence as "time served," that is the disposition of the case.You didn't specifically mention though,what,if anything that the Judge told him,only what you saw on court papers,and then a court date for Feb,26th,hence,the confusing part.
I would think,the case to be closed,but just to be on the safe side,your friend should appear on the specified court date,or the Judge,will issue a 'bench warrant," for failure to appear,and he will be arrested.Did your friend happen to mention,exactly what the judge told him,if not,ask him,and let us know.

The judge didn't give him a court date. But on his paperwork their is a court date listed. It states timed served on his paper work but I don't believe this is it. My bf stated the judge told everyone else in court their court date but not his court date. I think he's lying to me so he don't gotta go to court.

The judge didn't give him a court date. But on his paperwork their is a court date listed. It states timed served on his paper work but I don't believe this is it. My bf stated the judge told everyone else in court their court date but not his court date. I think he's lying to me so he don't gotta go to court.
What I'm asking you,is,After he pleaded guilty to the charge,did the judge tell him,he was sentenced to "time served,"and not what's on his paperwork,though,the two things should,and most often correspond with each other.How long did he spend in jail,before going to court?

Last edited:
Basically it states if he didn't plead guilty he's gotta go to the court date. That don't make no sense. Why would they put a court date on the paperwork it he didn't need to go.

basically he got arrested Thurs at 5pm he was home Fri night by 3pm. He wasn't even in one day.

Unfortunately I live with him. I don't have a option. Plus he lies to me.

You deserve a friend that treats you properly.

No one needs a liar and thief in their life, especially in their home.

You don't steal.

You don't lie.

You seem to have a usable brain, and a moral code.

You need to get that lying thief out of your life ASAP.

Basically it states if he didn't plead guilty he's gotta go to the court date. That don't make no sense. Why would they put a court date on the paperwork it he didn't need to go.

basically he got arrested Thurs at 5pm he was home Fri night by 3pm. He wasn't even in one day.

The best thing you can do is say nothing.

Don't waste your valuable time advising a thieving liar.

He will do as he pleases anyway, so just let him do whatever he thinks best, then sit back and laugh when it backfires on him, as it has always has done throughout his miserable life.

he spent 1 day in jail that's it.
Your friend is most likely lying to you,even about going to court.What it looks like to me,with the pic you provided,is that,he was released on his OR(promise to appear in court without bond,) and given his court date of Feb,26th.It is most unlikely ,he would have been given just time served,for shoplifting,after just one day in jail,as that would make no sense.
also,that pic,looks like,his release papers he signed when he got out of jail,with his court date.

as far as the civil demand,which her friend may receive,he is under no legal obligation to pay anything the store may demand,and should do nothing but make a piece of toilet paper on his next trip to the bathroom(that would be #2)
LOL: I thought this might bear repeating twice,you know,just for good measure.

Back