Shared custody and child support

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsuss

My ex-wife and I shared custody of two children (ages 17 and 20) since the divorce as per our agreement. Neither pays the other support. We share all major expenses. Health, education etc. Each provides a home, food etc. I am remarried with a 4 year old. My two older children don't care for my new wife. My home has more structure than my ex-wife's. I am home a lot, my ex is not, her boyfriend lives in the city and she spends weekends there. My two kids like having the house to themselves etc. I continue to maintain rooms for them even though they choose not to come and their mother does nothing to compel them to come. My ex took me to court to get custody. They appointed an attorney ad litem for my 17 year old son. I met with him, my ex met with him and he met with my son. He saw no basis for changing the agreement and the case was dismissed. Now my ex has served my with an order for child support. I live in NY. I continue to make attempts to have my 17 year old son come back 1/2 time the way it was but he is not interested. My daughter is away at school 10 months a year. I'd like to know what my rights are and if I can win this case in light of the fact that I haven't denied my children anything including a home. Thanks

I suggest you seek the services of an attorney in your county.

Anything we say about who will prevail would simply be speculation.

As one of the child is an adult and the other has less than a year, trying to compel visitation is a foolish waste of money.

New York is one of those odd states where child support obligations linger until age 21.

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back