share and share alike?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgtswife22

A deceased parents will directs that all the adult children (biological and stepchildren, a total of 5) are to share and share alike in the entire estate, including a mobile home and (owned) lot. Only one of the 5 children lives in the same town/area of the mobile home. The rest are out of state.

There are monthly maintenance fees, insurance costs, HOA dues, etc. that will go along with keeping the home vs. selling it.

What happens if one of the children (namely, me the biological) doesn't want and has no need for a "vacation home" in Florida and wants no part of working out a...you get it in Jan., Feb., I get it March, April, etc.?

Unlike all the others, I own my own home, with no mortgage and don't care to be a snowbird. The executor of the estate, a half-sister, is insisting that the home be kept in the family; "just in case one of us needs a place to live". I also want these toxic people out of my life sooner rather than later. Besides, because of mobile estate HOA rules and regulations only two of the siblings - the executor and one other - would be able to live there on a permanent basis.

Do I just forfeit my portion of the home or ????

This is very easy to resolve.

There are two possible solutions.

You are an independent, financially stable, level headed person.

You can tell the other, unsavory characters you wish to take no part of this arrangement. Therefore, they can divvy up the "loot" amongst themselves.

Or, you can ask the probate court to force the sale of the real estate (mobile home) and divvy up the assets amongst the lot of you.

One more thought occurs, you can ask the consortium of four to buy out your interest in the estate. That way they can keep their "winter dream castle", and you need not become entangled in their toxicity. They will likely balk at the last solution. Therefore, you'll be forced to reconsider solution one or two.

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back