Shady Dealer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt30

I purchased a vehicle from a very shady, less than reputable dealer in 2008. The vehice was set up to be paid off in one year. I started makin payments on nov 6 2008. It has now been almost a year and a half and the dealer keeps tellin me I still owe. He refuses to show me the receipt and balance book. Now I do not have all of my receipts, but I know very well the vehicle is paid off. I asked in Nov of 2009, roughly about when it should have been paid off and he said i owe $2k. I asked again in Dec 2009, he said $2k, I asked once again in january and he said $2k. The purchase price of the vehicle was 5200 and I started off paying 500 a month for a few months. If I would have owed $2k for three months, that means i would have been makin no payments and he woulda reposessed the vehicle, which he loves doing and chargin an outrageous fee.

What should I do?

How did you make payments (cash, check)???

How many payments have you made?

You say the payments were for $200 and you were to payoff a $5200 note.

Dude, at only $200/month (not taking into account interest), it would take you 26 months to pay that off.

You claim you bought it in Nov'08, you might pay it off by Jan,'11!!!!!

Do you have a purchase contract?

What does it say?

Do the math. Something doesn't add up. If you had no contract, you would have idea of what you owe.

If that is the case, you could call your state attorney general's office and explain the facts to them and ask what your recourse might be.

Otherwise, you could have made a bad deal. But most people know to get everything in writing, a contract!!!

Sorry, should have been a little more clear. I started off paying 250$ twice a month for 6 months, then i dropped to 200 twice a month as per the contract. I started calling the guy 1 year after making payments to check the balance, I called in Nov of 2009 and he told me $2000, he said the same in Dec when i called as well in January when I called. The guy is yankin my chain and refusing to show me his books to prove what I still owe. I know the vehicle is paid off, my mistake is not having all my receipts to prove it. Most payments were made in cash.

Sorry, should have been a little more clear. I started off paying 250$ twice a month for 6 months, then i dropped to 200 twice a month as per the contract. I started calling the guy 1 year after making payments to check the balance, I called in Nov of 2009 and he told me $2000, he said the same in Dec when i called as well in January when I called. The guy is yankin my chain and refusing to show me his books to prove what I still owe. I know the vehicle is paid off, my mistake is not having all my receipts to prove it. Most payments were made in cash.

Since you failed to keep ALL of your receipts and chose to pay in cash, you've screwed yourself.

Going forward you should keep all receipts.

In fact, I'd ask him for an accounting today.

At least you know what the goal is going forward.

Who knows, the guy doesn't know you don't have any proof.

He may give you GOOD news.

Go ask and find out what your payoff is.

He has to tell you that.

If he won't, then you can beef him to your state attorney general.

I bet you'll be surprised at the answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back