Sex Crimes, Sex Offenders Sex Offender Registry Unconstitutional Challenges

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lizibe

Does anyone know if there is any current challenges in Federal courts for the Sex Offender Registry?
I know there was 2 or 3 back in 1999 - 2003 and my husband who is on the registry was taken off, then put back on when the Supreme Court overturned lower district courts decisions that made the registry illegal for him.

This has to do with the due process issues and punitive nature of the registry. When those cases were overturned it was said that the court did not find the registry punitive and thats why they reinstated it.
This applies to people convicted before the registry even existed.
the law says the court must notify a defendant of their duty to register. Of course my husband was never notified by the court he was convicted in because there was no such law at the time and wasnt until 14 years later.
And we know it is a law that was applied after the conviction so thats the due process and ex post facto issue thats been argued before.

We have tried to give info to lawyers or advocate groups about the punitive nature before but seems to not go anywhere.
Why is the registry punitive?
failure to register is often a felony offence with a possible prison sentence. that alone is punitive.
It is similar to a form of probation because there is a duty to report and if the victim was a minor the offender must report every 90 days.
Every 6 months a letter arrives by mail asking to verify address and gives 20 days to do so. If not the letter threatens that the prosecutor will be notified. We hear some people get this letter more frequently than every 6 months. So receipt of that letter is another duty to report to local law enforcement.
Occasionally a law enforcement officer comes out to the house to spot verify the address. this again appears like supervision.
Once a year he has to have new photos taken and has been told he has to report if he changes his appearance such as grow a beard or something like that.

In this state (Missouri) they have the law that an offender can not be within 500' of a school or a park with playground equipment. this is punitive because we used to take our kids to the local park to swing and slide and after 2009 or 2010 when they added that requirement we now have to drive by the part and our kids complain because we cant go.

My husband has to list every car he drives whether he owns it or not and so my personal car is listed on the registry with its description and licence plate number.

I have been in 2 places where my husband was evicted because a landlord found out he was on the registry. prior to our meeting my husband has told me he got thrown out of 2 friends places because they lived in housing and he was staying with them for a couple weeks and when housing found out they called the police to have him immediately removed. there was really no law preventing him from staying with his friends, but the housing people said because lots of kids were there his presence was a danger! Not only that, he was told if he even tried to visit his friends at all he would be arrested for trespassing!

My husbands offense by the way was with a minor (teenager) when he was 21. It was not with little kids and it seems the stigma makes people think he would be a threat to little kids. Actually he is a threat to no one. We are married and he is faithful to me and just the suggestion that people make that he would touch someone else disgusts me. So I am also being punished indirectly by this and so are our kids.

I do not understand why no one is taking these issues into the Federal courts to prove the registry is really punitive. We used to read on an advocate forum that many others have experienced this kind of injustice too so why isnt there a class action being made with the focus on the punitive nature because thats what the court needs to see to rule the ex post facto registry illegal. I understand ex post facto laws are forbidden by the US Constitution so how do they get away with this? It is so obvious. The people who support these laws must have really good lawyers because I dont see how any judge could not see this being illegal if the punitive nature of the registry was revealed in court. they always argue it is a civil law but they brush aside the criminal penalties for non compliance and the punitive aspects that affect both the registered offender and his or her family.

Last edited:
Because we want to know where the sexual predators are. usually they end up being repeat offenders. If you don't like the additional scrutiny, move far into the country, to another state or divorce him.

Your going to find little support for offenders. In order to change a law you need support from your elected officials. For an elected official to support anythng that helps sex offenders would be political suicide

Because we want to know where the sexual predators are. usually they end up being repeat offenders. If you don't like the additional scrutiny, move far into the country, to another state or divorce him.

Actually that is disinformation about being repeat offenders. sex offenders have the lowest recidivism rate other than murderers (3.5%) Approximately 95% charged with that kind of offense have no record so the ones people need to watch out for are the ones that arent on the list. that comes from a Department of justice Study among others. thats why kids shouldnt talk to strangers :) We did move to another state and out in the rural country. Actually they've added 3 or 4 new requirements since we been here and one (The halloween restrictions) was removed by the court here unless the conviction was after 2008. No were not going to divorce.

We both actually agree sexual predators should be on a registry and a predator is usually someone who has been convicted of 2 or more different offenses. People who did something one time, especially when they are young are not sexual predators and are evaluated as not being that when they go through the programs they have to go through.

Shrinkmaster, i agree that elected officials will not readily support this, thats why it can only be something challenged in the courts. It has been ruled illegal in a couple of the federal district courts but then after a year or so the Supreme court overturns it. the last time I think there were 3 dissenting judges that ruled it illegal but the ":vote" was 6 to 3 so the decision made. Still it shows it was not unanimous so with the right argument and evidence i think a good lawyer could take it back in there.

Someone who had an offense 20 or 30 years ago and never re offended is not very likely to be a danger if they are taken off that registry.

Prevention is the best cure. Obey all laws. I can move anywhere I wish. If my spouse was a convicted sexual molester, abuser, offender; I'd get a divorce. If my spouse was convicted of any felony, I'd get a divorce.
His/her problem is NOT your problem, unless you choose to make it so. No o e cares about convicted felons, especially sexual perverts. The best advice was given by shrink master. Contact your elected officials. Get a referendum and get your fellow voters to support the laws being changed. You'll find no post conviction relief for convicted perverts.

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

That's your choice if you wanted to divorce. Each person has their own personal choice. I married him knowing about this and knowing it happened 20 years before. i also knew there was a huge difference between a pedophile or predator who does it over and over, and a young adult with a teenager a few years younger than him. And also a difference between that and someone who jumps out and grabs a stranger to rape.
Well, the elected officials are doing something about it and i guess their political career stays intact. people are starting to realize the registry is over the top and punitive. A case in Ohio Supreme Court just ruled it was even cruel and unusual punishment as applied to juvenile offenders. And our state has a bill passed this year that needs to go further but it would take a lot of people of the registry including my husband.
I am a bit surprized that on a law forum even if it is just a forum to discuss law that so many would look at the issue biasedly. I agree that pedophiles and habitual offenders are 'perverts" and there should be some monitoring of such, but young adults with minors who are teenagers cant really be in the same category or in the same as strangers kidnapping and raping an adult. they even put some people on registries for urinating in public because its considered lewd exposure if they get seen by someone. That doesnt even involve another person.
So looking at it legally there are constitutional violations of due process and ex post facto laws. Thats from a strictly legal standpoint.
Army Judge I agree about prevention and thats why we teach our kids not to associate with strangers or ever get in someones vehicle. One time a neighbor stopped to talk to us and one of our kids climbed in the open door of his van and we had a good talk with him about that. even though the neighbor is fine, has kids of his own, and we all go to the bus stop together, it was the principle of getting in anyones vehicle unless they are approved to watch the kids and it was said it was ok, so we do take prevention measures.

Actually that is disinformation about being repeat offenders. sex offenders have the lowest recidivism rate other than murderers (3.5%) Approximately 95% charged with that kind of offense have no record so the ones people need to watch out for are the ones that arent on the list. that comes from a Department of justice Study among others. thats why kids shouldnt talk to strangers

Once they have been caught, they learn how not to get caught. Arguing about a bunch of criminals who don't get caught is an exercise in futility. I have no way to interpret the lack of logic in your statement about kids and strangers. You seem to be implying they know all the sexual predators. I guess your unique perspective is what allows you to be content in your marriage.

Because nobody seems to be joining forces here... We need to really get together and start sueing the states for destroying the lives of those who aren't even convicted of anything... and put an end to this once and for all!

Last edited by a moderator:
What we need to put an end to are the evil deeds committed by sexual perverts, molesters, rapists, pedophiles, and abusers.

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

What we need to put an end to are the evil deeds committed by sexual perverts, molesters, rapists, pedophiles, and abusers.

Why stop there? Let's put murderers on the list too. And robbers, and thieves. And drug dealers. And drug users, too. And drunk drivers, let's not forget about them. And speeders and reckless drivers, too. Maybe if we get all the evil off the street, then the two or three people left can live a great life.

Continue to insult other members and necropost and you won't be here long.

Consider this a very friendly warning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back