Severance / do I need a lawyer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrussell

I have worked for a non profit agency for 10 years as their IT manager. Last year a new Co-Chair of the Board, and his sister - she started working for the agency after he was appointed to the board- put together a grant via one of their contacts and allocated @ 75% of funding to a company that their brother-in-law works for. The CEO & CFO did not review the grant and the agency accepted it. The end result of all of this, is that myself and my staff's positions were eliminated. They kept both of us on to maintain the systems and help with the transition to the outside company.

I have submitted a proposal for severance pay, but have not had any feedback/response to it. My end date is approaching and I want to resolve this. Do I need to hire a lawyer to make them address this? What are my options?

Thank you

Unless there is a binding policy or you have a contract that guarantees you severance, they have no obligation under the law to provide it or to respond to your proposal. Severance is not required under the law anywhere except in three New England states, and it is only required there under very limited circumstances which do not, based on your post, appear to apply here.

You are free to hire an attorney if you like but you're most likely wasting your time and money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back