Settlement from MVA car accident (not at fault)

Status
Not open for further replies.

veronaqueen

Back in the beginning of July I was hit head on in a car accident. My car flipped twice and was totaled. I was taken to the nearest hospital in an ambulance and treated for minor injuries: 12 stitches in my left arm (3" laceration), bruises on hips and chest from the seatbelt, airbag burns on my face, lots of bruising on my right leg from the steering column, and a strained trapezius muscle that's still healing. All in all, no big deal considering it was a 65 mph impact.

The woman who hit me admitted to both her insurance company and the police officer that arrived on scene that she was distracted and wasn't paying attention when she turned, so there's no problem there. Her insurance company contacted me and said I could pursue a Pain and Suffering claim as long as my medical bills were greater than $2000 (they're close to $4000 right now). She mentioned coming to a settlement and wanting to see a picture of my scar from the stitches as well for records.

I'm not sure what a settlement would entail or even how to go about it. Since I'm dealing with the agent on my own, I'm a little worried about getting screwed in the deal. In the accident I also lost a $400 iPod that had been hooked up to the stereo and a new $50 pair of jeans the EMTs had to cut open in the ambulance (I had literally bought them the previous day). I'm not out to take the woman to the cleaners or anything because I know it was an accident, but at the very least I want to be reimbursed for the items I lost as a result of it. Any advice I could get on how to handle this situation would be greatly appreciated.

I would call your insurance company (they should already be aware of the accident) and tell them what is going on. They have teams of lawyers and can have one take your case for you. What you need to do right now is tell the other side you are in the process of retaining legal council and will not talk to them until that is done. Just telling them that may make them back off a bit.

Also keep in mind that you don't have to agree to a settlement they propose. They might try to drag it out to wear you down, but don't back down and cave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back