Serving a po box - how do I request the address?

ontherun

How can I get the physical address to serve my spouse who only uses a PO box # and is hiding from service?

What is the process? What forms do I use or request? We live in different cities in California.

You can accomplish service of a person at a PO BOX/
A street address isn't required.

Here you go, have yourself a read.
Or, hire yourself a process server to complete the dirty deed.

415.20. (a) In lieu of personal delivery of a copy of the summons
and complaint to the person to be served as specified in Section
416.10, 416.20, 416.30, 416.40, or 416.50, a summons may be served by
leaving a copy of the summons and complaint during usual office
hours in his or her office or, if no physical address is known, at
his or her usual mailing address, other than a United States Postal
Service post office box, with the person who is apparently in charge
thereof, and by thereafter mailing a copy of the summons and
complaint by first-class mail, postage prepaid to the person to be
served at the place where a copy of the summons and complaint were
left. When service is effected by leaving a copy of the summons and
complaint at a mailing address, it shall be left with a person at
least 18 years of age, who shall be informed of the contents thereof.
Service of a summons in this manner is deemed complete on the 10th
day after the mailing.
(b) If a copy of the summons and complaint cannot with reasonable
diligence be personally delivered to the person to be served, as
specified in Section 416.60, 416.70, 416.80, or 416.90, a summons may
be served by leaving a copy of the summons and complaint at the
person's dwelling house, usual place of abode, usual place of
business, or usual mailing address other than a United States Postal
Service post office box, in the presence of a competent member of the
household or a person apparently in charge of his or her office,
place of business, or usual mailing address other than a United
States Postal Service post office box, at least 18 years of age, who
shall be informed of the contents thereof, and by thereafter mailing
a copy of the summons and of the complaint by first-class mail,
postage prepaid to the person to be served at the place where a copy
of the summons and complaint were left. Service of a summons in this
manner is deemed complete on the 10th day after the mailing.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=ccp&group=00001-01000&file=415.10-415.95

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/free-books/small-claims-book/chapter11-4.html

The text of your post says they can be served at a mailing address 'other than a po box'. The address I have for service is a PO Box.

The text of your post says they can be served at a mailing address 'other than a po box'. The address I have for service is a PO Box.

Well, you might wish to speak with a process server or a private investigator.

If he has a drivers license, there are ways to get the information from various paid search services, such as his address given to DMV, and/or his DL number.

You can also check the voter rolls for an address he may have given to the state for voter registration.

Frankly, it may not be worth your time to pursue a dude that has taken to living off the grid.

In many cases, you can serve a person by publication.

Good luck.

Thank you for your advice. I very much appreciate it. I found this on the USPS web site regarding PO Box owner address discolosure.

"Release of Address Information:
General. Information relating to boxholders, permanent and temporary change of address, and commercial mail receiving agencies may only be disclosed as permitted by the Privacy Act and routine uses for the applicable system of records. See the Appendix, additional instructions in section 5-2d(3)(b), and Exhibit 5-2a, Address Disclosure Chart...

Additional Instructions. The following additional instructions must be followed relating to requests for change of address or boxholder information...

To persons serving legal process. This includes persons empowered by law, the attorney for a party on whose behalf service is to be made, or a party who is acting pro se (the term pro se means that a party is self–represented, and is not represented by an attorney). When responding, do not provide a copy of PS Form 3575, Change–of–Address Order, or PS Form 1093, Application for Post Office Box or Caller Service, to the requester. The USPS does not have a standard form for use when requesting address information. Requesters are encouraged to use the standard format in Exhibit 5-2b. If the requester uses the standard format on its own letterhead, the standard format must be used in its entirety, and the warning statement and certification must appear immediately before the signature block. If the request lacks any of the required information or a proper signature, the custodian must return it to the requester specifying the deficiency. Requests via facsimile from process servers are acceptable.

Each request must specify all of the following information:
A certification that the name or address is needed and will be used solely for service of legal process in connection with actual or prospective litigation.
A citation to the statute or regulation that empowers the requester to serve process, if the requester is anyone other than a party acting pro se or the attorney for a party for whom service will be made.
The names of all known parties to the litigation.
The court in which the case has been or will be commenced.
The docket or other identifying number, if one has been issued.
The capacity in which the individual is to be served (e.g., defendant or witness)."

I'll give this a try today by fax.

Last edited:
Back