Consumer Law, Warranties services provided under verbal contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbk_

I live in the state of Pennsylvania and recently had a plumber redo my water-well. When he came to the house to look the job over, I asked him how much? He said "probably $1500.00 but to be safe bet on $1800.00". He left it at that and did not provide this quote in writing

I said ok, he came in and completed the work, and left me a bill for $2150.00

I called to complain and he said that they ran into things he was not expecting and began to give me the run around.

I have thirty days to pay. I feel obligated to pay $1800.00, but do not feel that I am liable for the remaining $350.00

I feel that he is attempting to take advantage of me and would like an opinion as to where I stand legally

Last edited:
That's a good question. I would say that the plumber should have given you notice that it was more than the $1,800 when it became known to him. His failure to do so may cost him the extra $350 and I'd say that it's a fair bet he'll never see the money in court -- provided that there aren't any other facts and circumstances that may affect this opinion. Did the plumber ever mention that it could cost more and that you'd be on the hook? Do you have a contract that might govern the terms of your agreement (that would be important.)

In this instance, the plumber should have made known to you the cost if it was going to be different than the amount he told you. It's not so clear and will depend likely upon the facts which may sway the case.

Originally posted by cbk
I live in the state of Pennsylvania and recently had a plumber redo my water-well. When he came to the house to look the job over, I asked him how much? He said "probably $1500.00 but to be safe bet on $1800.00". He left it at that and did not provide this quote in writing

I called to complain and he said that they ran into things he was not expecting and began to give me the run around.

I have thirty days to pay. I feel obligated to pay $1800.00, but do not feel that I am liable for the remaining $350.00

I feel that he is attempting to take advantage of me and would like an opinion as to where I stand legally

That's a good question. I would say that the plumber should have given you notice that it was more than the $1,800 when it became known to him. His failure to do so may cost him the extra $350 and I'd say that it's a fair bet he'll never see the money in court -- provided that there aren't any other facts and circumstances that may affect this opinion. Did the plumber ever mention that it could cost more and that you'd be on the hook? Do you have a contract that might govern the terms of your agreement (that would be important.)

In this instance, the plumber should have made known to you the cost if it was going to be different than the amount he told you. It's not so clear and will depend likely upon the facts which may sway the case.

Originally posted by cbk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back