Selling a car wihout registering it (Skipping title)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnrich1985

I recently bought a car but decided shortly thereafter to resell it. I was short on money which is why i didnt bother registering it. The title was left open by the guy that i bought it from. After posting an ad about it on craigslist a guy showed up, test-drove it and decided to buy it. the issue is that he actually turned out to be a police officer off duty who was looking to buy a car for his personal usage. When i gave him the title he looked at it and noticed that i didnt had it registered to which he then said: "Thats called skipping title, which is a misdemeanor...". Regarless of the issue, he still bought the car! Now my question is the following:

1. can he get me in trouble? He knows my real name and where i live but.....he was an OFF DUTY police officer.
2. what are possible consequences i may face
3. What does the law say about it here in Missouri? Is that really a misdemeanor or something less than that.....like an infraction maybe?
4. If he decides to give me trouble how would he proceed and what chances do i have to avoid procecution. (there was no bill of sale signed")

these are all the questions that go through my head right now. i would appreciate if if i get these questions answered. Thanks.

I recently bought a car but decided shortly thereafter to resell it. I was short on money which is why i didnt bother registering it. The title was left open by the guy that i bought it from. After posting an ad about it on craigslist a guy showed up, test-drove it and decided to buy it. the issue is that he actually turned out to be a police officer off duty who was looking to buy a car for his personal usage. When i gave him the title he looked at it and noticed that i didnt had it registered to which he then said: "Thats called skipping title, which is a misdemeanor...". Regarless of the issue, he still bought the car! Now my question is the following:

1. can he get me in trouble? He knows my real name and where i live but.....he was an OFF DUTY police officer.
2. what are possible consequences i may face
3. What does the law say about it here in Missouri? Is that really a misdemeanor or something less than that.....like an infraction maybe?
4. If he decides to give me trouble how would he proceed and what chances do i have to avoid procecution. (there was no bill of sale signed")

these are all the questions that go through my head right now. i would appreciate if if i get these questions answered. Thanks.

There is no way any of us could GUESS what will happen to you for allegedly violating the law.
Common sense says he might report you and have the correct agency pursue your prosecution.
Being that he foolishly bought the car from you after admonishing you, I doubt that anything more will flow from your omission.
In the future, be smart, obey the laws and you need not fear being persecuted or prosecuted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back