Seller has my $1000 deposit on vehicle. Won't return my calls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vee123

I found an RV on Craigslist and made arrangement to go look at it, 3 hours from my home. I liked it and gave the seller $1000 deposit because it seemed there was competition for the vehicle. I wanted a chance to have it checked by a mechanic the following week, before buying it. Several days later, the seller called me and said the vehicle did not pass the SMOG test that is required of sellers in CA, before a transfer can occur. He said he was going to install a new catalytic converter and that would take care of it. I got nervous and asked for my deposit back, which of course, he never mailed back. Then the seller was away for several days. I contacted the seller via text and email and left a phone message, saying I am still interested in buying the RV. He has not returned my calls or texts. He still has my $1000. Do I have any recourse? Again, I live 3 hours away. Thanks.

I found an RV on Craigslist and made arrangement to go look at it, 3 hours from my home. I liked it and gave the seller $1000 deposit because it seemed there was competition for the vehicle. I wanted a chance to have it checked by a mechanic the following week, before buying it. Several days later, the seller called me and said the vehicle did not pass the SMOG test that is required of sellers in CA, before a transfer can occur. He said he was going to install a new catalytic converter and that would take care of it. I got nervous and asked for my deposit back, which of course, he never mailed back. Then the seller was away for several days. I contacted the seller via text and email and left a phone message, saying I am still interested in buying the RV. He has not returned my calls or texts. He still has my $1000. Do I have any recourse? Again, I live 3 hours away. Thanks.

Another Craigslist scammer, huh?

You can sue him in small claims, and will need proof that you paid him, and a signed agreement of sale will help you prove your case.

The suit must be brought three hours from your home in the scammer's county.

Now the bad news, expect to travel back and forth two, three, or maybe more times.

If you prevail, you still won't have the $1,000.

You'll get a pretty court order with a fancy seal which you must then try to serve on him and siphon away $10, $25, maybe $100 at a time until you eventually get the $1,000.

The real bad news, very few small claims plaintiffs ever collect a dollar.

You pretty much screwed yourself. Never buy anything off of that scammer's list, never!!

You lost money, people have lost their lives, been robbed, even raped!

Thank you Army Judge. I actually don't think he's a scammer, per se, but he was miffed that I asked for my deposit back when it didn't pass SMOG. (I got cold feet). Then, he probably realized he could keep the deposit. Question: Let's say I do file a small claim and I win. Even if it is hard to collect the money, will he at least get a ding of any sort on his credit rating? Or any other negative consequence?

Thank you Army Judge. I actually don't think he's a scammer, per se, but he was miffed that I asked for my deposit back when it didn't pass SMOG. (I got cold feet). Then, he probably realized he could keep the deposit. Question: Let's say I do file a small claim and I win. Even if it is hard to collect the money, will he at least get a ding of any sort on his credit rating? Or any other negative consequence?

A judgment does ding a person's credit rating.

Will a victory for you ding his?

First you must prevail, and secondly you assume he has a credit rating where it matters.

This LIST SCAMMERS already have not dinged, but DESTROYED credit records, as in scores in the 300 to 400 range, LOL.

That presumes you are allowed to PROVE you paid him anything and it was refundable.

Want to see a LIE FEST? Attend any court in America, especially small claims. A few of my lawyer pals refer to small claims out as LIARS COURT or SCAMMERS COURT. Gotta keep laughing, OP.

Thanks. Actually, I just heard from him, so the deal is still alive. I feel better. I will just do my due diligence, have it inspected, etc..., and go from there. Plus, it has to pass SMOG.

Thanks. Actually, I just heard from him, so the deal is still alive. I feel better. I will just do my due diligence, have it inspected, etc..., and go from there. Plus, it has to pass SMOG.

You're welcome, V. I hope it all goes as you desire.
I'm curious, what made you look for a car on THAT SCAMLIST, 200 miles away from your home?

Factoring in a 2 or 3 round trips there, are there no cars in your county?

I see dozens of people doing this, just wondering what prompted you to do it.

It's not a car. It's a sought-after small motorhome: the Winnebago Rialta. There are only about 25 of them for sale right now in the entire country. They aren't easy to come by. This one has very low miles and is in mint condition.

It's not a car. It's a sought-after small motorhome: the Winnebago Rialta. There are only about 25 of them for sale right now in the entire country. They aren't easy to come by. This one has very low miles and is in mint condition.

That's another warning sign, in my book.

If the item is rare, in great condition (that's not true because of the smog problem), why not sell it thorough traditional methods?

If its a SCAM site, it's TROLLED (and controlled) by SCAMMERS.

I guess I'm risk averse and extremely cautious when it comes to money.

Thanks for the answer V, I hope the deal works out for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back