seized jewelry

Gamila77

Jurisdiction
New Jersey
Hi,
I'm interested to know if it's possible to buy seized jewelry directly from attorneys. I'm a small business individual and I buy & sell gold & diamonds for living. I heard from a few friends living in a different state that it's possible to purchase a large amount of seized jewelry from attorneys from time to time. Can anyone help me to find information about it and who to contact? Thank you very much

Attorneys should not be in possession of any seized jewelry, and if they did have possession of something it would likely be unlawful to sell it.
What you might have heard about is a law enforcement auction where previously seized property is sold to the public.

Thank you for a quick response. What if the jewelry is not seized? Is it possible for attorneys to be involved with clients and to have the right to sell personal property without going through public auctions? I'm pretty sure I heard that they buy it legally directly from attorneys but I can be wrong regarding the term "seized" Can it be for a different reason such as will or any other reasons that may give the attorneys the power to sell it? I'm not so sure how this things done but I would like to know if there's a legal way to buy directly from the attorneys. I appreciate all the help. Thank you

I'm not so sure how this things done but I would like to know if there's a legal way to buy directly from the attorneys.

There is no way anyone NOT involved in any transaction between parties unknown to the person could guarantee the transaction's safety, legitimacy, or legality.

As I'm sure you have heard, "caveat emptor" = BUYER BEWARE!

You as the purchaser should conduct your own due diligence before you make any purchases from private party sellers, including any attorneys who might be selling "items".

I've practiced law for many decades and have seen attorneys do many things.

I know of no attorneys trafficking in seized goods.

Again, CAVEAT EMPTOR.

The question you are asking is apparently based on information you overheard. I suggest you direct the question to the source so it can be cleared up. I can only guess at what you might have heard.

Thank you for both responses Army Judge & mightmoose.
Again, I'm not so sure if the jewelry is seized or handle in another legal way. I do know for sure that the buyers do require to hold the purchased jewelry for 60 days before they can re-sell it. I also cannot get the full information from whoever I heard it from and maybe they don't want to share it with me to avoid business competition. I want your help and advise in knowing if attorney can act BY LAW and have the right to sell personal property such as jewelry on behalf of customers or whatever it may be to a Jewlery/diamond dealers. please disregard my previous information about seized jewelry if it's too confusing and focus on the question. My point is to know if I as a small business owner can get the option to buy often and legally large amount of jewelry by any attorney. I understand from you that I can buy it through a law enforcement auctions but I also want to know if any type of attorney can legally represent anyone and sell it on their behalf. I'm sorry for my complicated question and again I do appreciate you taking the time to respond.

I also want to know if any type of attorney can legally represent anyone and sell it on their behalf.

Attorneys conduct/manage estate sales where jewelry MIGHT be sold.

I have no personal knowledge of this as I've done estate sales.

You might randomly inquire of real estate or estate attorneys in your area to see if any of them know anything about this alleged practice.

You might also read the want ads section of an urban newspaper where you might see notices of estate sales being held, and you can inquire of the auctioneer conducting the sale or the law firm that might also be involved.

Yours isn't a legal question, so I am unsure if any of our responders can offer you any additional insight into your inquiry.

Army judge, thank you again for a super fast response
Why is my question is not legal? So you are basically telling me that by law I cannot buy directly from an attorney personal property such as jewelry? Is attorney can never be a direct source? Is it always have to go through an auction regardless the reason of the sell?
Thank you again

Why is my question is not legal?

I didn't type that.

I suppose that is the way you interpreted my words.

o you are basically telling me that by law I cannot buy directly from an attorney personal property such as jewelry?

I never typed anything similar to that.

Again, that is the way you are interpreting my typed words.

Is attorney can never be a direct source? Is it always have to go through an auction regardless the reason of the sell?

I have no idea.

I suggested you investigate estate sales.

I know of no LEGITIMATE reason why any attorney in private practice would ever possess items seized as contraband and resell those items.

There are probably some attorneys who own jewelry stores or pawn shops that might sell items through that channel.

Thank you again, as I mentioned before please ignore my term "seized " because you keep saying that by law no attorney has the right to execute a sell on a seized property which I understand and it make sense. My question was if by any other legal way for example a will can attorney sell it on behalf of the client? Or for another legal reason that I as a not law practice person know of. Thanks

My question was if by any other legal way for example a will can attorney sell it on behalf of the client?

I suppose a few attorneys (maybe a bevy or even a clutch of attorneys) could be engaged in doing surreptitious, perhaps illegal acts, offering for sale their ill gotten gains.

Even an estate sale isn't done by an attorney settling the estate.
The attorney would hire an auctioneer to conduct estate sale under the attorney's auspices.

But, hey, I'm not that well connected in everything.

I may have missed out on a very unique way to bilk unsuspecting clients through the secret jewelry sale thingy.

Yours is not a legal question because it does not refer to a matter addressed by law.

The law does not care who you buy jewelry from, as long as the person you buy it from is authorized to sell it. There is no law saying that you can, or cannot, buy it directly from an attorney who may be handling the estate or property. The law takes no position on the matter. Therefore, it is not a legal (associated with law) question.

I'm interested to know if it's possible to buy seized jewelry directly from attorneys.

Sure it's possible. However, few attorneys are in the business of seizing and/or selling jewelry, so if you're interested in buying jewelry, you'll have better luck with jewelers than with lawyers.

I heard from a few friends living in a different state that it's possible to purchase a large amount of seized jewelry from attorneys from time to time. Can anyone help me to find information about it and who to contact?

I have no idea what you're talking about. If you want more information about what your friends told you, the smart thing to do would be to ask them.

What if the jewelry is not seized?

I don't understand the form of the question.

Is it possible for attorneys to be involved with clients and to have the right to sell personal property without going through public auctions?

Yes.

I'm not so sure if the jewelry is seized or handle in another legal way.

Seized from whom?

Why is my question is not legal?

It's not that your question is not legal. Rather, nothing you've asked really raises any legal issue. You seem to be assuming there's some sort of marketplace where lawyers sell jewelry and wanting to know how to access that marketplace. I, for one, have never heard of such a thing and seriously doubt it exists.

So you are basically telling me that by law I cannot buy directly from an attorney personal property such as jewelry? Is attorney can never be a direct source? Is it always have to go through an auction regardless the reason of the sell?

One's status as a lawyer has no relevance to one's ability to sell jewelry (or any other personal property) legally.

Back