Security Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ikewear

Wanted to know if the Act, 18 PA C.S.A s9125 is suppose to prevent me as a felon from losing my job of 11years from my employer after a backround check was administered

Wanted to know if the Act, 18 PA C.S.A s9125 is suppose to prevent me as a felon from losing my job of 11years from my employer after a backround check was administered

Here's a link to the law you cited above:

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs...pe=HTM&ttl=18&div=0&chpt=91&sctn=25&subsctn=0

It is self explanatory, and prior convictions can be used in the hiring decision.

But, there are other, less complicated ways to dismiss you, the employer can simply just let you go for any reason, such as they don't like you, you slurp yoru coffee, you root for the Broncos, you laugh too loud, you part your hair on the left side of your head, you're ugly, you have poor hygiene, you act weird, you are too fat, you are too skinny, you have eight fingers an two thumbs, anything can be a reason to dismiss as long as it isn't discriminatory.

To be honest most places do not voluntarily employee felons as security guards. It is like hiring a fox to guard the hen house.

You know.... Disagreeable,

I have read on this board for several years now. I love reading, learning about various issues that people face about the law. I myself went up against a state agency and thru the whole process it was exciting. Better once i won that issue.

You seem to have very low self-esteem.. Because you most always post some bs answer to a perfect question. The question here was simple... your answer was nothing but a personal attack on someone you don't know.

Note the bolded, does it make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside? OP knew what the statute said and for visceral purposes wanted it to not apply to his situation. If you are not wise enough to understand my responses, I suggest you just do not read them.
§ 9125. Use of records for employment.
(a) General rule.--Whenever an employer is in receipt of
information which is part of an employment applicant's criminal
history record information file, it may use that information for
the purpose of deciding whether or not to hire the applicant,
only in accordance with this section.
(b) Use of information.--Felony and misdemeanor convictions
may be considered by the employer only to the extent to which
they relate to the applicant's suitability for employment in the
position for which he has applied.

(c) Notice.--The employer shall notify in writing the
applicant if the decision not to hire the applicant is based in
whole or in part on criminal history record information.
(Dec. 14, 1979, P.L.556, No.127, eff. imd.; June 11, 1982,
P.L.476, No.138, eff. 180 days)

You know.... Disagreeable,

I have read on this board for several years now. I love reading, learning about various issues that people face about the law. I myself went up against a state agency and thru the whole process it was exciting. Better once i won that issue.

You seem to have very low self-esteem.. Because you most always post some bs answer to a perfect question. The question here was simple... your answer was nothing but a personal attack on someone you don't know.

Last edited:
I don't see any reason why they can't terminate you from your job as a security guard after doing a background check & find a felony history. Also, as army judge noted, you can be terminated for any reason except a reason prohibited by law or unless you have a binding employment contract to the contrary.

And??? Didn't you read the OP question correctly? Your bold text clearly states....

position for which he has applied. <<<<< APPLIED.. APPLIED FOR??

The op states he has held this position for 11 years already... At least that is what i read. So it does open the door for questions. Did he lie on his application to get this position 11 years ago? Did he get the felony during his employment? Does any of this matter in his case?

Then you have Army Judge that gave a good answer. Did you feel that Army Judge answer wasn't correct and you needed to reply with the BS to make you feel warm and fuzzy? Or did you need it to raise yourself esteem so you can continue thinking your above others? The OP question is one that should have brought out the question i mentioned...

After 11 years, they discovered he was a felon and/ not suitable for the job. Get that yet? Do you think he was walking down the street one day and they ran up and said hey you look like you would make a great security guard!!! Or do you think he applied for the job? You did notice it said general rule not mandatory provision?

And??? Didn't you read the OP question correctly? Your bold text clearly states....

position for which he has applied. <<<<< APPLIED.. APPLIED FOR??

The op states he has held this position for 11 years already... At least that is what i read. So it does open the door for questions. Did he lie on his application to get this position 11 years ago? Did he get the felony during his employment? Does any of this matter in his case?

Then you have Army Judge that gave a good answer. Did you feel that Army Judge answer wasn't correct and you needed to reply with the BS to make you feel warm and fuzzy? Or did you need it to raise yourself esteem so you can continue thinking your above others? The OP question is one that should have brought out the question i mentioned...

Security companies change their contractors periodically and guards are reassigned. Do you think any of their contractors is going to voluntarily request a felon to provide security, especially if it unsupervised at night.

You don't realize how ridiculous that sounds?

As noted originally, there are any number of other reasons to dismiss someone. The law cited only has to do with the hiring process and isn't relevant to this scenario.

I work in the security field and its odd this didn't come up at hiring. Its routine for background checks to be run for any security related job. So again why did this not come up before?

The OP worked at the job apparently 11 years but we really don't know when OP got the felony conviction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back