Security deposit

mykeylynx

So I moved into a rental with a year lease. The previous renter made many alterations to the apartment and lost his security deposit for leaving early on his lease. I started a new lease with the landlord, but they never inspected the place before I moved in. I am concern they will not give back my security deposit when the lease is up. Am I right to think I will get the security back because they failed to inspect the apartment before I was assigned the new lease?

Thank you,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I moved into a rental with a year lease. The previous renter made many alterations to the apartment and lost his security deposit for leaving early on his lease. I started a new lease with the landlord, but they never inspected the place before I moved in. I am concern they will not give back my security deposit when the lease is up. Am I right to think I will get the security back because they failed to inspect the apartment before I was assigned the new lease?

Thank you,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What state? Did you take video/pictures of the apartment when you moved in (before you unpacked)?

Am I right to think I will get the security back because they failed to inspect the apartment before I was assigned the new lease?

You are not right to think this. You have no basis in reality to reach any conclusion about whether you will or won't get any, some portion or all of your deposit back when you move out at some unknown time in the future.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean when you say that the landlord "failed to inspect the apartment before" you moved in. Are you suggesting that the apartment is in exactly the same condition as when the old tenant moved out and that the landlord (or an agent of the landlord) did not not once, between when the former tenant moved out and you moved in, enter the apartment? If so, how could you possibly know that?

Did you perhaps mean that the landlord didn't do a walk-through with you before you moved in? If so, whether or not that might have any legal impact depends on the laws of your unidentified state.

I started a new lease with the landlord, but they never inspected the place before I moved in.

You could have, and should have, required the landlord to accompany you when you inspected so you could make an inspection report and both of you get copies. Failing that, you should have taken photos throughout, before you moved anything into the place.

You can still do that now and hope they suffice when it comes time to move out and get your security deposit back.

It appears that you are located in Brooklyn so here is a link to the NY landlord tenant statutes for you to study:

2019 New York Laws :: RPP - Real Property :: Article 7 - Landlord and Tenant

If you are in a rent controlled (sorry, rent stabilized) apartment, here is the NY rent stabilization code:

Rent Stabilization Code

There are many other resources on line for NY tenants. Easily found by googling.

Back